Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably not using the correct search terms so I can't find an answer to the following question. To anyone who is running aftermarket wheel and tire setups that are larger than stock, did you replace all 5 or just the 4 and leave the spare stock?

·
Super Moderator
9,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It is all a matter of personal preference, IMO. I still have to get a flat tire on a Wrangler, but I always get a set of 5. It’d bother me to no end to drive around with a mis-matched tire hanging on the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

It is all a matter of personal preference, IMO. I still have to get a flat tire on a Wrangler, but I always get a set of 5. It’d bother me to no end to drive around with a mis-matched tire hanging on the back.
I feel the same way but knowing I have $500 + hanging off the back would also bother me :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
9,537 Posts
Do 5-tire rotations. That will extend the life of the tires —or the pain...if those tires are harsh... LOL

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: RDWrangler

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
5 tire rotation will gain you ~20% more tread life on the full set. Pays for its self

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
No way I want a spare that is different in size. If you are four wheelin and need that spare you can do some real damage with an odd sized tire. As mentioned, I always do the 5 tire rotation and get the max out of 5. Also, if you sell your other tire you can get some of that $500 back.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Same here. Swapped out my 5 stock wheels/tires for aftermarket. I run mud tires with an aggressive tread, so having that 5th tire to rotate in helps prolong the mileage I get out of them.
Yup, and on the trail I have seen a sidewall split open and another tire with a large hole from a big rock. Spares were needed in both cases and you don't want a spare of a different size when you are 4x4 especially with lockers.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yup, and on the trail I have seen a sidewall split open and another tire with a large hole from a big rock. Spares were needed in both cases and you don't want a spare of a different size when you are 4x4 especially with locker
Or worse, I was deep in the woods with my JKR when a downed sapling took out a valve stem on my rig. I was running spare delete at the time, 4 hours later I got out of there. Lesson learned, tire, wheel, Teraflex tire carrier to the rescue and never sweated it again. Before I ever brought my JLUR home I had 5 wheels and tires mounted and waiting in garage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Or worse, I was deep in the woods with my JKR when a downed sapling took out a valve stem on my rig. I was running spare delete at the time, 4 hours later I got out of there. Lesson learned, tire, wheel, Teraflex tire carrier to the rescue and never sweated it again. Before I ever brought my JLUR home I had 5 wheels and tires mounted and waiting in garage.
So true. We run trails in some pretty remote areas, and most are a couple of hours away from my house. The last thing I want to do is leave my Jeep back there until I can bring a spare back to retrieve it. Not to mention to lecture I would get from the wife...."You left your Jeep where????". 🤣

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I still have full size spare, but for what happened to you, and others, I got a set of these and keep them in the console.
Trail replacement valve stem, no need to remove the tire to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts

Yup. My JKU had the full Teraflex reinforced gate and tire carrier and I just put the Teraflex JL tire carrier on my JLUR.

Bobnh
Hey thanks for the emergency stem kit suggestion. I didn't even know they existed until your post. Ordered today. Stems are another easy way to lose a tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts