Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several hours of searching for examples of aftermarket wheels mounted on wheel spacers, with no luck, I thought I would share the process I went through to determine what back spacing I wanted and if I wanted to add an additional wheel spacer as well.

My original setup:
2015 JKUR
Stock Wheels
285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT2s

This set up rubbed at full lock, so I was forced to run a wheel spacer to avoid rubbing prior to deciding on what wheels I wanted. Side note: I got a set of four from Extreme Terrain for $120 or so and they ride no different than stock set up.

After countless hours of searching, I finally found a wheel I wanted. I decided on a Pro Comp Alloy Series 41 Phaser (Black) from Extreme Terrain. This wheel is a 17x9, with 4.75" back spacing. Coming from the truck world, I always talked offset instead of Back spacing, so this was a new area to study for me. I have attached several CAD screen shots showing the dimensions (note front of wheel is to the left side of the page).

Stock wheels are (from what I have read) 7.5" wide, and have a 6.25" back spacing.

When I added the 1.5" spacer, this changed my back spacing to 4.75" (same as new wheels).

The new wheels should have the same dimensional clearance from the inner fender to the wheel, as the stock wheels with spacers. However, with the width of the wheel being 9" (1.5" wider than stock), the tire should stick out from the fender 1.5" more than my current set up. If I place the pro comps on the 1.5" spacers they should stick out 3" more than my current set up (too much for my taste).

Hope this clears up any questions for new Jeep owners like myself. I know this is all simple math, but sometimes it takes some visuals to help understand.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
You lost me at " However, with the width of the wheel being 9" (1.5" wider than stock), the tire should stick out from the fender 1.5" more than my current set up. If I place the pro comps on the 1.5" spacers they should stick out 3" more than my current set up (too much for my taste).
The center of the tire will stay with the center of wheel regardless of how wide it is. so the extra width alone wont make the tire stick out any more or less.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, my horrible english/grammar gets the best of me. When I say the tire will stick out more, I am reference how far the tire/rim sticks out from the fender, not from the rim itself.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Exactly and the tire will not stick out any further or any less when you change the width of the rim

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Did you get the ProComps?
Looking at them now and was wondering how well they fit.
I am thinking of putting 35x12.5r17 KO2's on them.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
No need to run those spacers with that wheel... I run a larger tire on the Pro Comps with 4.75 backspacing and they are a good fit. By adding the spacers, you are increasing your scrub radius unnecessarily...

Go back to just the new wheel and you will be much better off in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts