Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member for a while, lurking in the background. Used this forum and you tube to replace all 8 control arms, all 4 shocks, track bar and steering stabilizer on 2004 TJ with a 2 inch coil spacer lift.

All went well until I put on the steering stabilizer and track bar(stock ACDelco from Rock Auto) this morning. Stabilizer went on easy, track bar seemed a little short. Jacked the front up under differential and decided my plan wouldn't work and put it back on ground, track bar ball joint went right in. Had to take the driver wheel off to torque the ball joint nut. Now the driver side front wheel sticks out about a half inch further than the passenger side and when the jeep is driving straight the steering wheel is turned a little to the left. The jeep seems to track pretty straight when moving though.

Do I need an adjustable track bar? Or is this one fine and can I just spin the bracket on the drag link to straighten out the steering wheel? Or lastly, should I get it aligned and have them straighten the steering out?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
Track bar is correct length if and only if axle centered in vehicle left to right, if it is first insure toe in correctly adjusted then just adjust drag length length at sleeve to center steering wheel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. Will probably have to buy an adjustable front. The rear is off about the same amount so will probably get an adjustable rear as well. The toe in also looks off. Bought it used so still learning with this kind of stuff. The forum has been really helpful.

Do you think the best route is to get some appropriate track bars then align?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 1/4 to 1/2 inch... Your just going to have the opposite problem with an adjustable bar because they don't adjust short enough for 2" of lift. Adjust the drag link to straighten the wheel and be on your way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Just kept it as is for now with the stock track bar and had it aligned and steering wheel adjusted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '06 LJ that I bought 4 months ago, it had 47K on it, with a 2" BB. Serious DW developed over the short time that I have had it. I checked the components, found the axle end of the track bar was very sloppy - 1/8" movement during dry steer test. Also axle was 3/8" off, toward Driver. I researched, found the JKS OGS-126 Adjustable track bar would work with 2" lift (and I have plans for 3.5" lift, later). Required drilling chassis end of track bar mount, then using a supplied 9/16" bolt. I also drilled the sloppy hole in the axle-end track bar mount, to 5/16" to get it round. That meant drilling the sleeve in the end of the track bar. Purchased a 7/16" - 3" long Grade 8 bolt at Lowes. Installed and adjusted = no more DW, and the track bar will be there when I am ready for the larger lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts