Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
You don't change any geometry when you remove them, so I'd say no. Removed mine about 6 months ago and have no tire wear problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
The only alignment you have any real control over is Toe. You can screw with Caster by adding shims, but it's certainly not fine adjustment. Camber is set from factory and is unchangeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
While we're on Sway bars/track bars...

Do any of you guys run quick disco sway bar links instead of just removing the sway bar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Billy, mine had disco's, but I took everything off from the recommendations from here. I really can't tell the difference with on the road handling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
billy_YJ said:
While we're on Sway bars/track bars...

Do any of you guys run quick disco sway bar links instead of just removing the sway bar?
If you drive at highway speeds I'd have em for sure. Too much instability in recovery of oversteer at high speed without one or the other, which makes it a dangerous vehicle.

It isn't something you will feel driving. When a deer darts out, you jerk the wheel to avoid it, then jerk it back. The problem is you never swerve the same amount, and in the re-correction, when you are leaning "out", you make a sharp turn in the same direction. This slings the body to the "in", with momentum. Without a sway bar to transfer outside force to inside force or a "track" bar to limit suspension flex, you are going to flip at a lower threshold. It is like a game of red rover, with your body playing against the suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
BlueRidgeYJ said:
If you drive at highway speeds I'd have em for sure. Too much instability in recovery of oversteer at high speed without one or the other, which makes it a dangerous vehicle.

It isn't something you will feel driving. When a deer darts out, you jerk the wheel to avoid it, then jerk it back. The problem is you never swerve the same amount, and in the re-correction, when you are leaning "out", you make a sharp turn in the same direction. This slings the body to the "in", with momentum. Without a sway bar to transfer outside force to inside force or a "track" bar to limit suspension flex, you are going to flip at a lower threshold. It is like a game of red rover, with your body playing against the suspension.
I drive highway speeds all the time, lifted, no track bars, and no sway bar. I have no issues at all, actually have a smoother ride. Removed bars when I bought the yj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
mixedup4x4 said:
I drive highway speeds all the time, lifted, no track bars, and no sway bar. I have no issues at all, actually have a smoother ride. Removed bars when I bought the yj.
Doesn't change the physics of COG.

How many high speed recovery manuevers have you performed over 60mph?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
i have extensive training in high speed driving,,,that being said...when you remove sway bar and track bars it will be easier to flip any vehicle,,, and the taller you are the odds are greater that you will have an accedent..

most accedents happen trying to avoid animals..--hate to say it but alot of times you are better off hitting the dog,deer,,etc.

jeeps are different than cars or trucks ,,,you have to drive differently with every vehicle


but about the op.....i have had zero problems since i removed my bars..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
To the OP:

On a stretch of straight road, get up to about 25-30mph (important part: make sure nobody is coming your direction), and turn your wheel left to right in a good enough movement. You will notice your body rolling significantly, if you don't then you either have an improperly setup suspension, or you still have your swaybar connected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I took my off then one day when slowing down it did the death wobble so I figured I better put them back on for my wifes sake don't want something to happen there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
If your running the quick disconnect sway bar, it seems there's no reason to remove it, and I'm sure it is far better to use on the street too. Mine has a spring pin at both ends of the links, and comes out all together (the pins/links) and then its loose all around, front and back. I'v removed my track bars and that was the best move so far, by far.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top