Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rotate my tires which are Toyo's every 3000 miles. The last time I had them rotated, after driving home, the steering wheel, the front wheels, vibrate back and forth. Called the tire dealer and I was told that I should go a 1000 miles to let the tires work in. I don't believe this BS. Any answers???

·
Registered
451 Posts
Keep the air pressure exactly where it should be and don't stretch the 3000 mile rotation. Also, have the toe-in checked.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes. It is bs,,, and don't have you're toe in checked, check it and adjust it yourself in about 1/2 hour.. Just google jeep TJ front end alignment.. There are several write ups dedicated to this subject.. I trust alignment shops about as much as you should trust the guy that rotated your tires..

·
Registered
163 Posts
jeep3999 said:
I rotate my tires which are Toyo's every 3000 miles. The last time I had them rotated, after driving home, the steering wheel, the front wheels, vibrate back and forth. Called the tire dealer and I was told that I should go a 1000 miles to let the tires work in. I don't believe this BS. Any answers???
When those tires were on the rear, the off balance wheel was harder to feel. Now that it's up front, all that vibration is going to be much more noticeable.

It sounds like you just need to get the tires balanced. Driving with them out of balance for an extended period of time can cause scalloping (bad tire wear). I'd suggest getting at least the front tires balanced.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
When those tires were on the rear, the off balance wheel was harder to feel. Now that it's up front, all that vibration is going to be much more noticeable.

It sounds like you just need to get the tires balanced. Driving with them out of balance for an extended period of time can cause scalloping (bad tire wear). I'd suggest getting at least the front tires balanced.
x2 This is why I run ATs and that in turn allows me to purchase "LIFETIME" (about 3 years) balance, rotation, and road hazard warranty. For what tires cost, and to promote even wear, yeah the tire guys see me a LOT!! And most of the tire shops will continue to rotate and balance, after the 3 years IF there is still tread.

After initial cost/ purchase I have "no charge", unless tire needs replaced under road hazard warranty and that is prorated (based on amount of tread used.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input toward my problem!!!!!!!!!
They said they balanced the tires but I think that's bs........

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
This is why I turn all my own wrenches and for things like tire balancing, I tell the shop I watch them do it or a different shop will do it. It's hard to trust mechanics now a days, that's why I don't.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
97wrangler-242 said:
this is why i turn all my own wrenches and for things like tire balancing, i tell the shop i watch them do it or a different shop will do it. It's hard to trust mechanics now a days, that's why i don't.
x3

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
I have had to have my tires rebalanced 3X in one day before they got it right. Some shops are real sloppy about how precisely they balance tires, take it back.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
The nearest Discount Tire (~40 miles) is notorious for bad tire balancing. I never understood this. The machine tells you exactly where to put the weights and how much. How do they screw that up? Unless they don't spin them twice to make sure they zero out. My balancer is probably 30 years old and it still does a fine job.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I quit using Discount Tire for the above reason. Luckily in my area I have an NTB, Firestone and Sears to choose from. Right now I'm using Firestone, and have had very good luck and good customer service with them. You tell them you left DT to come to them and they seem to do a better job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts