Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of digging, looking at everyone's audio installs, and I see some very clean finished products. You all do good work. But, there is one bit of information I have not been able to find...

Does anyone have pictures of how they ran power to the amp? I am planning to install the amp under the passenger front seat and tips on a good way to run the power would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Look for write ups that mention running power through the passenger firewall. That's how we did both of ours, but I was so excited I forgot to take pictures as we went along.

Stevil did an awesome write up on installing his stereo in his 2013 with LOTS of pictures.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ran the 4 gauge power wire behind the battery box. I pulled back the carpet inside the cabin and found a nice spot on the passenger side firewall that was up high enough that I don't have to worry about water ever getting into the Jeep. It worked out really well because there is sound deadener/heat insulation in the spot I drilled, so it added a little protection from engine heat. I did try the method of running it through the hole where the hood meets the windshield and into the cabin, but the metal kept cutting into the wire. After three tries, I said the hell with it, pulled the carpet and drilled a hole. If you go this route, make sure that you have a rubber grommet that is the appropriate size for the hole and power wire. I can't get you any pictures because my Jeep is at the dealership getting some cosmetic work done.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I did it without drilling, I will take a picture in a bit and send. Was able to run 4 gauge wire with no issue. I am sure I could have even gone bigger. There is a factory hole in the upper corner of the passenger side firewall. Just have to pull up a wiring harness and some insulation, and some tape to get to it in the engine bay. Comes out behind dash and in the insulation on the inside of the firewall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had 3 Jeep vehicles (2009 Liberty, 2013 JKU Sport, and 2015 JKU Sahara X Edition). All 3 vehicles had automatic transmission, so there was a large unused hole on the driver's side firewall where the clutch cable would go. It's located up and to the left of your left foot.

There is a thin rubber membrane covering this hole. I just used an exacto knife to make a slit, and easily ran my power and antenna wires through it (I'm a ham radio operator). You can easily run the wires from that point.

I currently have an antenna mounted on my left cowl, and a Motorola XPR5550 UHF radio mounted under my driver's seat. Very easy and neat install.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh . . . Also if you are going at attach a ground wire to the battery like I did, you are going to have to get the proper nut. It's a M6-1.0 Flange nut at the Home Depot. Pack of 2 was like $.54. For some reason, Jeep doesn't put the nut on the threaded shaft of the negative battery terminal. It would only add $.27 to the vehicle's price!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh . . . Also if you are going at attach a ground wire to the battery like I did, you are going to have to get the proper nut. It's a M6-1.0 Flange nut at the Home Depot. Pack of 2 was like $.54. For some reason, Jeep doesn't put the nut on the threaded shaft of the negative battery terminal. It would only add $.27 to the vehicle's price!
I was debating doing that with the ground, but I saw another install where someone had found a ground under the passenger seat. Whichever way I go I will end up with my first write up after the install.

Anyone know where the wires for the rear speakers are ran?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I ran my power wire through a factory hole up and to the left behind the brake pedal. Then zip tied it along some factory wires and to the battery. then along the driver side and under the carpet to the amp. Amp is located behind passenger seat. Make sure to run your power wires and signal wires on seperate sides of the jeep. The rear speaker wires on my tj were bundled and ran along the driver side floor panel then up the roll bar and into the factory sound bar. The wire for the dome light is twisted in this bundle and connects via a factory pin connector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts