Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got an 89 wrangler with the 4.2. Looking to ditch the carter carb so my question is what is the best upgrade for the 4.2? I saw the weber and the motorcraft 2150 upgrade, and also what is better for 4wheeling? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Many jeepers like the Motorcraft unit as a replacement for their Carter Carbs. Many like the Holley. If you are going four wheeling with a lot of inclines, you may want to go fuel injection if you have the money. Holley makes a carburetor designed for "off road" use and one jeeper said that he loved it! He was going up some 30-45˚ inclines.

Most of the carburetors that came out during the "emissions crisis" were garbage because of the emission crud that is required on the engine. Fuel injection can give you a more precise response for emissions, whereas a proper carburetor will give you terrific performance WITHOUT the emissions foolishness. With a carburetor, the engine determines what it needs. With fuel injection, the computer tells you what the engine needs... of course, through various engine sensors.

Take care,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the opinions, I don't quite have the money for fuel injection, how hard is it to adapt a Holley truck avenger to the 4.2? If any body has pics that would be awesome, thanks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Id reccomend the mopar mpi system or the tbi kit. Now if your a jeeper like me then you have to stick to carbs cuz the account can't take a 2grand hit. So go with the motorcraft 2100/2150 kit as found on ebay. There is a guy on there that refurbs them and sells all that you need involved with the kit. That's where I got mine from. And listen to bdk weber is garbage. I went from the stock carter to weber to now motorcraft and so far its been the best.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rmn42689 said:
Alright thanks for the opinions, I don't quite have the money for fuel injection, how hard is it to adapt a Holley truck avenger to the 4.2? If any body has pics that would be awesome, thanks.
Besides that I don't know much about holleys so I can't say sorry!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well you would have to get a 4 bbl intake:
Offy Very Nice 6cyl 4bbl AMC Dual Port Intake #5999 | eBay
Then get the Holley carb, so you would be looking at over $500

Edit: My Buddy has a Holley on a AMC 304 and he likes it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well sounds like I will prob go with the motorcraft upgrade. I checked it out and it sounds the like the best choice for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts