Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became the proud owner of a 2dr Wrangler and have purchased an aftermarket H/U to replace the base H/U (6 speaker system with steering wheel controls). After going through all the forums I am left very confused as to what wiring harnesses I need to install it? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
:wavey:Bails...A little more information about your Jeep would be helpful.
- Crutchfield tech's were very helpful during my upgrades.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just want to replace factory unit with a basic double din unit. No back up cams or nav. Have read a lot of the threads regarding installing aftermarket H/U and maybe its just me but I am confused as to what harnesses I need to install it and keep the steering wheel controls?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I think I remember reading that not every head unit can keep the steering wheel controls. Crutchfields technical help is usually pretty good.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Also what year jeep and what head unit is stock? I am assuming JK?

year is a big difference in a TJ anyway. 97-02 had one harness, while 03-06 had the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the vagueness of my reply. I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport. It doesn't have an amp or sub. The headunit is a Jensen VM 9026.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think I remember reading that not every head unit can keep the steering wheel controls. Crutchfields technical help is usually pretty good.
No it ISN'T. Crutchfield are abysmal. Will people please, please, please stop listening to those idiots?

OP, your basic harness will connect into the factory wiring. You'll then need a second harness to connect into the SWC. PAC is the best known manufacturer of these, although Metra also do one and I think Scosche might as well. If you go PAC, you need the RP4-CH11 harness which will give you both the base wiring connections and the SWC connectivity in one package.

I don't know the Jensen HU, is that the Wal-Mart own brand unit? I'm assuming it's supported but I've never installed one, so I can't guarantee it. If it's not supported out of the box, you can program it - see the instructions here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts