Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who has aftermarket hoods? Louvers etc? And more importantly- who has experienced heat reduction from it? That's really all I care about but since that thread fizzled I figured I'd go more general. Secondarily of course fit and finish is important...so fire away.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I have the Poison Spyder louvers. They fit fine, the template they send is spot on. You just have to get over the fact that you are cutting a large hole in your hood.

It does help with heat reduction.

Reactions: clos0791

·
Registered
843 Posts
What he said ^ I've drilled and cut so many holes in my Jeep, I got over it a long time ago. It's like an oven in there. The louver works. My battery used to be hot to the touch before the louver. Just be sure to care for your hole properly so it doesn't get infected.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I have the Poison Spyder louvers. They fit fine, the template they send is spot on. You just have to get over the fact that you are cutting a large hole in your hood.

Going this route as well. Know two locally that run them and they both said it helps especially here in AZ.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind cutting a hole in the hood now that she's paid for. But I've heard 50/50 on the louvers locally. However the purpose of the thread is "need more input". LOL
(Who can name that movie...)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I don't mind cutting a hole in the hood now that she's paid for. But I've heard 50/50 on the louvers locally. However the purpose of the thread is "need more input". LOL
(Who can name that movie...)
Said by Number 5, AKA Johnny 5. Short Circuit.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Personally, I like the contrast in the black to body color. Now, on my JK, it's black on black so the only contrast is gloss PX8 paint to the flat black of the PS louvers. However, I also have a WK2 Trailhawk with the flat black hood decal, which is close in size to the PS louvers and it looks sharp against the white body color. Another friend has an orange TJ with the black PS louvers and it looks sharp.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts

Same here. I haven't measured the temps, but you can see the heat escaping from the louvers. Put it this way, it can't hurt to have them!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you add the hood or did you buy the Anniversary edition Jeep? If it was added later..any notable heat loss?

·
Registered
259 Posts
For some reason I thought I read before that this idea of heat reduction was debunked.

ben

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For some reason I thought I read before that this idea of heat reduction was debunked.

ben
That's the point of the post- looking for actual users with noticeable/verifiable heat reduction. There have been a thousand overheating threads with some "a hood helped" comments- but just as many that say it didn't. Trying to separate the hood issue.
I have spoken to people that say they've seen a heat reduction but it's been pretty anecdotal. A lot of people here run the PS louver- but frankly PS has a huge band wagon out here because they're local. I get a lot of "yea- it helped" but it seems more for looks on the JKs. I see them more on TJs and LJs. My problem isn't crawling - and that's where PS says theirs works best. But the posters here have seen reduction so that's good.

Most aftermarket hood purchases seem to be for looks. I've emailed several companies asking for data and no one has responded. Ironically the only actual data I could find was on Daystars vents- but that was years ago and I can't find it now. It's pretty surprising everyone says "heat reduction hood" but no one can prove it. They all copied the Anniversary/AEV and rolled with it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Me: If I chop a giant hole in my hood whats going to happen? Rocket Scientist: Hmm... I dont know. You tell me.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts

ben
I think the engine will cool itself well enough with that big radiator and oil intercooler.

The heat reduction is mostly useful for the electronics in my opinion, and there's a lot of it under the hood. In fact I've had circuit breakers pop for no apparent reason while rock crawling on hot days before I had hood vents.

Also look at all the plastic parts under the hood, plastic doesn't do well in high temps over time; becomes brittle.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts