Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently decided to undertake this task on my own. Really happy I did this as I got to learn a lot about my Jeep as well as the electronics involved. I had limited experience and was only used to installing household electronics and home theatres.

So I got a Pionner Avic 8201NEX with the backup camera.

I installed it and I have the following issues.

First of all my backup camera is constantly on.
I hooked up the power source to the cigarette lighter and like the manual said I spliced into the reverse wire that is located at the passenger footwell.

Also I somehow managed to turn the camera off and I got the following message
(Posted a pic below).

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really lile that you took up the challenge to do the install yourself, i hope you provide some info as to what you used, location of usb etc as I would be interested as I plan on doing the same hopefully with a bit of help from a friend. I am sure someone will chime in with a fix for your issue as I would think it's an easy one to remedy. How was fit in dash?

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Caveat: I have no experience with backup cameras.

But the cig lighter power is suspect to me and would make sense that it is always on. I would use a different power source.

Congrats on the self install. You just saves yourself a couple hundred bucks at least and learned a thing or two.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello
So I got a Pionner Avic 8201NEX with the backup camera.

I installed it and I have the following issues.

First of all my backup camera is constantly on.
I hooked up the power source to the cigarette lighter and like the manual said I spliced into the reverse wire that is located at the passenger footwell.
Do you have buttons on the back of your steering wheel? If so, hold down the "middle" button on the left hand side of the steering wheel for like 3-5 seconds. I too hooked up power from the cig lighter and if I hold down that button, when not in reverse, that allows the camera to be turned on or off. That might help with the camera always on issue that you are having. Good luck getting it figured out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed the GPS error issue. For one reason the pioneer did not like the fakra adapter.
Instead I just mounted the pioneer antenna and left it on top of the headunit under the dash and it works fine.

As for the backup camera the instructions are telling me to connect the reverse gear signal cable from my head unit to the black with gray stripe cable located at the passenger footwell. Problem is that I cannot find the wire. Can someone send me a pic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts