Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. A beautiful night of topless camping in my 2009 Sahara Unlimited was interrupted by a powerful thunderstorm a few weeks back. Well, my radio/sat/nav unit didn't like that very much.

I am trying to replace the OEM unit (Infinity with subwoofer) with a Sony XAV-712HD. It's all wired up, has power, and I can play CD's and use all bluetooth functions. But......

1. The antenna, Sirius and GPS antenna do not have the proper connectors. Are there adapters for this?

2. The unit doesn't fit in the dash! It supposedly is made for a 2009 JK. The dash mod doesn't seem like it will be too much of an issue. I just wanted to reach out to folks more experienced than I first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Let me start by saying I have no experience with this particular head unit. My suggestion is if you can, box up the Sony and return it to where you bought it. I like Sony stereo equipment, but they don't hold up well to the jarring of a Jeep. Pioneer's Premium series is a better choice for install in an off-road vehicle. Just my opinion ... Take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Go to Crutchfield's website and look up that stereo with you vehicle info. They call it a "modified fit." According to them you have to cut the factory rear stereo support brace out of the dash and they recommend a specific installation kit and adapter harness to retain uconnect and steering wheel control functionality. Not sure if this would also assist with you antennae connections or not. If you call them, they should be able to help you out, especially if you are going to purchase the kit(s) from them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You will need to cut out or just bend the rear radio support bar and pull it out as mentioned above. The factory radio is much heavier, but it is so tight in there you won't have to worry about support for your after market. I second the part of returning the sony product, I have a pioneer 3500. It has hd radio along with everything which doesn't seem to be offered with the Bluetooth very often.
Grab a shark5900 camera and flush mount it in the rear bumper. It's awesome!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
You will need to cut out or just bend the rear radio support bar and pull it out as mentioned above. The factory radio is much heavier, but it is so tight in there you won't have to worry about support for your after market. I second the part of returning the sony product, I have a pioneer 3500. It has hd radio along with everything which doesn't seem to be offered with the Bluetooth very often.
Grab a shark5900 camera and flush mount it in the rear bumper. It's awesome!
You can also just unbolt the support.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Let me start by saying I have no experience with this particular head unit. My suggestion is if you can, box up the Sony and return it to where you bought it. I like Sony stereo equipment, but they don't hold up well to the jarring of a Jeep. Pioneer's Premium series is a better choice for install in an off-road vehicle. Just my opinion ... Take it for what it is worth.
I second this regarding Sony. My 2010 Wrangler had to have three Sony touch screen monitors replaced.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Antenna - 40CR10
Sat - just cut the plastic from the stock plug and it works.
Nav - dunno.
Dash fit - remove metal bracket at rear of radio, shave 2mm or so off the top plastic radio opening (the dash, not the dash's trim panel). I used Metra's 956511.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts