Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my build already came with all of the benefits of the Tow Package minus the receiver hitch, I thought I'd be clever and omit the package from my order for the $350 savings and install a $75 aftermarket receiver.

Then I realized that the Shrockworks bumper I ordered ahead of time is designed to integrate the OEM receiver, and isn't guaranteed to work with any others. So now I've got a month before pickup/install appointments to figure this out.

Bumper Manufacturer said:
I don’t have any personal experience with anything but the factory receiver. I know aftermarket receivers have been used with our bumper; I just don’t know which ones or if there was any extra work involved.
Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket receivers are built to stock dimensions? Have any of you used one with a Shrockworks rear bumper? Quadratec and Rugged Ridge iterations ($75) look similar to OEM ($200) at the Quadratec page, but I need to be sure. Otherwise, I'll be hunting for someone's minty fresh takeoff.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am quite certain the Quadratec one is identical to the OEM. My friend compared it side by side to my OEM which cost like 4x more. I should have left that box unchecked.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Since my build already came with all of the benefits of the Tow Package minus the receiver hitch, I thought I'd be clever and omit the package from my order for the $350 savings and install a $75 aftermarket receiver.

Then I realized that the Shrockworks bumper I ordered ahead of time is designed to integrate the OEM receiver, and isn't guaranteed to work with any others. So now I've got a month before pickup/install appointments to figure this out.

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket receivers are built to stock dimensions? Have any of you used one with a Shrockworks rear bumper? Quadratec and Rugged Ridge iterations ($75) look similar to OEM ($200) at the Quadratec page, but I need to be sure. Otherwise, I'll be hunting for someone's minty fresh takeoff.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!
They all look similar, but you can buy a Mopar take off on Ebay for around $100.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of you looking to unload yours, I'd be interested in seeing some clear pictures at various angles. I'm really only after one entirely free of rust, scratches, or dents. I'd prefer a recent 2015 or 2014 takeoff, as I prefer pristine. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the Quadratec or ebay solution.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am quite certain the Quadratec one is identical to the OEM. My friend compared it side by side to my OEM which cost like 4x more. I should have left that box unchecked.
Sucker born every day.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
See what's in the max tow package. If I recall correctly, for the Sahara it included a 3.73 ratio upgrade to be able to tow 3500 lbs. For the Rubicon, it didn't include a ratio upgrade. For the Rubicon it was just the hitch + wiring which is way less than the ~$500 Jeep wants for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Makes sense. My inquiry pertains to the hard rock/rubicon so if it's $500 for just that then it would be hard to justify. Does the harness need to be cut and spliced if max tow is done after the fact? I'm guessing factory implementation does this as well?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I haven't done it myself yet, but my understanding is that it's a very easily installation. The wiring kit just needs to be run, not spliced. The hitch is a simple bolt on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed the Quadratec hitch and wiring harness tonight. The wiring harness ties into the plugs on the rear driver side tail light. Easy install. Maybe 45 minutes including 1 beer ;).
Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a chat with Quadratec. Theirs is nearly identical to the Mopar. I'm going with them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just installed the Quadratec hitch and wiring harness tonight. The wiring harness ties into the plugs on the rear driver side tail light. Easy install. Maybe 45 minutes including 1 beer ;).
Jim
Yes. Maybe 20 minutes sober.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I went with the quadratec one and it is a easy install. I have pulled a trailer 5 days a week with it for over a year with no issues.

The 4 pin harness plugs into the drivers side taillight. If you add a 7 pin later it connects under the hood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tell you what, when you search this topic across the site you get a wide variety of discussions. Some say you get stiffer springs, trans cooler (if auto) and Sway control only if you get Max Tow. Others say that is absolutely wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tell you what, when you search this topic across the site you get a wide variety of discussions. Some say you get stiffer springs, trans cooler (if auto) and Sway control only if you get Max Tow. Others say that is absolutely wrong.
Mine is a manual transmission, the build sheet lists sway control, and I'll be changing the springs. That's why I opted out of the OEM option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts