Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting rid of my factory stereo, and replacing it with a new one. I found the Kenwood plug and play on Quadratec. Is this a good brand? What do you recommend? I want one I can play my iPod directly through. I think the Kenwood brand offers this.

I like the fact it's plug and play since I don't know how to hardwire one. I would like to be able to install this myself. I like learning new things 馃槂.

Registered
Check out Crutchfield. They'll let you know exactly what you need and offer great support. You'll do just fine, give them a call. ;)

Registered
Check out Crutchfield
Crutchfield is the Quadratech of the audio world. Good for research, but it would be wise to do your shopping around.

Just about any aftermarket head unit will have a place for an auxiliary cord. What you're paying more for is extra amp inputs, adjustability, USB inputs, etc. I got my head unit for $50 from best buy and it is more than enough. Space for one amp for a sub, auxiliary input, all the channels and modes I need.

Wiring a head unit is very very easy. It's literally matching wires. Use butt connectors or splice and go over with shrink wrap or electric tape. When I splice I hook and then twist the exposed wire so it won't come undone. 1 hour job at the absolute max. Do one or two and you can do them in 15 minutes.

Registered
i just put a new Pioneer in my tj. got it from Crutchfield for 99 dollars. They'll throw in some free stuff like wiring harnesses and speaker brackets. I got a free amp wiring kit when i bought through Crutchfield. I never installed a stereo before and i put in new dash speakers, soundbar speakers, head unit and 4 channel amp. It's not hard, a lot of good info here and also videos on youtube. Good luck!!

Registered
I agree. Crutchfield for pioneer head unit. My buddy does stereos for best buy and told me pioneer is best option. The customer service for install questions was awesome as well.
I got:
Pioneer-DEH-X6700BS
Polk Audio DXi461 4"x6" 2-way car speakers

Registered
This is almost always one of the first things I do to a new to me vehicle. It really is an easy thing to do (especially in a TJ with the ease of pulling the dash apart.) I have never done it professionally, put have probably installed over 50 radios with the full range of accessories in my own vehicles and those of friends.

The most important thing you need to do is figure out what you want in your system. Almost all aftermarket radios these days have a way to play your phone/iPod through them. Do you want an amp or subs? Look for something with the required outputs for this. If not, just get the most basic.

When I bought my TJ last year, I picked up a $70 pioneer unit from Amazon and through in an old amp for a little more power. No sub, but I may put a small one in the center console in the future. I have the preamp outputs available, so I won't need a mother upgrade later. I chose a unit that has Bluetooth built in for ease of use. When using it, it restarts the music for me each time I get back in the car, so I usually don't have to punch up the phone again. It can be controlled from the deck, so no need to keep playing with the phone.

I went cheap because, well, it's a jeep. With no top in the summer, or even a soft top, there is no security. If it gets stolen, it sucks, but isn't a huge loss.

There are literally thousands of choices out there. Just buy a name brand and you will be good to go.

Registered
I am still debating an upgrade given how little I drive it it. If I get a job, I will upgrade the HU, otherwise, it will be OK for a long time to come, I have grown to love my Jeep and I hope I get to keep her for a long time!

Registered
I agree. Crutchfield for pioneer head unit. My buddy does stereos for best buy and told me pioneer is best option. The customer service for install questions was awesome as well.
I got:
Pioneer-DEH-X6700BS
Polk Audio DXi461 4"x6" 2-way car speakers
I've been messing around with car audio since the early '80's before I even had my driver's license. Although I have purchased from Crutchfield in the past, generally I would order from other online vendors at much cheaper prices. However, for your low to mid line head units, Crutchfield will generally have the best price-considering they include all optional installation adapters and wiring harnesses.

Like Popeye, I also chose the Pioneer DEH-X6700BS and I am very pleased with it. The handsfree Bluetooth actually works very well in the Jeep, and it always pairs immediately with my Samsung Note 4 phone. The Bluetooth audio streaming works very well, and I use it to directly control the Pandora app on my phone. The illumination colors are fully adjustable to match the interior lighting, or to have it whatever color you desire. It will also directly control an optional Sirius XM tuner.

By ordering from Crutchfield, I was able to get the in-dash mounting kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter included for free. These items generally would run you around $30-40 separately. My total cost was $129 shipped, which is within a few dollars of the cheapest online price I could find.

I purchased the Polk DB521 speakers and Nalin MFG adapters for the front. I bought the speakers from Best Buy, as they were $40 cheaper there than Crutchfield. These made a huge improvement in sound quality over the factory 4x6" speakers. I plan to replace the factory speakers in the rollbar with the 6.5" Polk DB621.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I'll check out some videos as well as Pioneer brand. I already know how to get the dash apart since I put in LED's back in the summer. :)

Is this standard on an 02 Jeep Sahara? Will this work fine with an aftermarket stereo?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is almost always one of the first things I do to a new to me vehicle. It really is an easy thing to do (especially in a TJ with the ease of pulling the dash apart.) I have never done it professionally, put have probably installed over 50 radios with the full range of accessories in my own vehicles and those of friends.

The most important thing you need to do is figure out what you want in your system. Almost all aftermarket radios these days have a way to play your phone/iPod through them. Do you want an amp or subs? Look for something with the required outputs for this. If not, just get the most basic.

When I bought my TJ last year, I picked up a $70 pioneer unit from Amazon and through in an old amp for a little more power. No sub, but I may put a small one in the center console in the future. I have the preamp outputs available, so I won't need a mother upgrade later. I chose a unit that has Bluetooth built in for ease of use. When using it, it restarts the music for me each time I get back in the car, so I usually don't have to punch up the phone again. It can be controlled from the deck, so no need to keep playing with the phone.

I went cheap because, well, it's a jeep. With no top in the summer, or even a soft top, there is no security. If it gets stolen, it sucks, but isn't a huge loss.

There are literally thousands of choices out there. Just buy a name brand and you will be good to go.

Just basic is all I would want. Don't want to install amps or subs or whatever. I only want to be able to play my ipod through it plus good sound obviously. I haven't been to listen to my ipod recently because the cord that plugs into the cigarette adapter comes loose so I will be going down the road hit a bump and the thing comes out. I then hear nice loud static. Scares the crap out of me. It gets very annoying so I just listen to the radio.

Registered
Thanks. I'll check out some videos as well as Pioneer brand. I already know how to get the dash apart since I put in LED's back in the summer. :)

Is this standard on an 02 Jeep Sahara? Will this work fine with an aftermarket stereo?
Yes that is the standard soundbar. One good thing about having a pre-'03 Wrangler is that the one piece soundbar more easily accepts a 6.5" speaker, if you wish to install a larger size than the factory 5.25".

Registered
Yes that is the standard soundbar. One good thing about having a pre-'03 Wrangler is that the one piece soundbar more easily accepts a 6.5" speaker, if you wish to install a larger size than the factory 5.25".
Just to toss out some knowledge for anyone else viewing this thread, the 04-06 TJs with sound pods with also fit 6.5" speakers. Some speakers have mounting tabs that extend past this, but they're fine to bend back and use the inner mounting holes. Putting in 6.5" speakers, moving your old 5.25" ones to the front (replacing the 4" ones), and putting in a cheap head unit will make an absolute world of difference.

Registered
Just to toss out some knowledge for anyone else viewing this thread, the 04-06 TJs with sound pods with also fit 6.5" speakers. Some speakers have mounting tabs that extend past this, but they're fine to bend back and use the inner mounting holes. Putting in 6.5" speakers, moving your old 5.25" ones to the front (replacing the 4" ones), and putting in a cheap head unit will make an absolute world of difference.
X2 what I did. Also take an old pillow and shove the stuffing in your soundbar. Helps with tone. Haven't done HU yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at some videos. I saw one where a guy put in an Alpine Bluetooth unit. I wasn't a fan of the microphone included in order to work the Bluetooth hands free call feature. So question is does the Pioneer DEH-X6700BS people here recommends have a microphone you have to mount separately? I don't want any wires exposed so I don't know where I would mount the microphone. The video showed I watched showed the guy tucking the extra wire in with the defroster panel thingy when he out that part back on. Bluetooth isn't all that important to me, but it seems like a nice feature.

Also, it looks like a booger to get that bolt out from the back of the unit. I guess it's a anti-theft thing, but it looks hard to get out. Any advice there?

Registered
I have the Pioneer DEH-x9600BHS HU and love it. It has the rear usb port (Requirement for me) so I can run the iPod through the back into the glovebox, bluetooth calling and audio play back, as well as a front aux port. Very easy to use with plenty of color combos as well. I mounted the mic above the radio beside the little tray on top of the dash, and I have pretty clear calls for a Jeep, even when driving with the soft top and doors going 70mph down the highway. I haven't had it during topless season, but I doubt the hands-free calling will work with no top or doors, but it does do much better than I had expected

Registered
Also, it looks like a booger to get that bolt out from the back of the unit. I guess it's a anti-theft thing, but it looks hard to get out. Any advice there?
Shouldn't be any bolt back there? Should only be 2-4 screws that actually hold in the head unit after you take off the dash bezel. Then just pulling out the old harness and antenna input.

Registered
The Pioneer does come with a separate microphone that is very easy to mount and hide the wIre. The mic has a clip that I attached to the curved middle of the upper corner of the A pillar. By removing the large screw that holds on the drivers side visor, and then loosening the three screws on the outside edge of the A pillar plastic covering, you can easily push the wire into the area between the A pillar plastic and the windshield. From there it's nothing to drop the wire down to the back of the radio opening. It only took me 5 extra minutes to do this. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to better show the area I am describing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shouldn't be any bolt back there? Should only be 2-4 screws that actually hold in the head unit after you take off the dash bezel. Then just pulling out the old harness and antenna input.
I don't know for sure. The video I watched the guy had to take the glove box out to get his hand back in there with a 10mm socket in order to unscrew the bolt connected to the back of the factory stereo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Pioneer does come with a separate microphone that is very easy to mount and hide the wIre. The mic has a clip that I attached to the curved middle of the upper corner of the A pillar. By removing the large screw that holds on the drivers side visor, and then loosening the three screws on the outside edge of the A pillar plastic covering, you can easily push the wire into the area between the A pillar plastic and the windshield. From there it's nothing to drop the wire down to the back of the radio opening. It only took me 5 extra minutes to do this. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to better show the area I am describing.
Please do if you don't mind. I would like to see how that thing mounts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Pioneer DEH-x9600BHS HU and love it. It has the rear usb port (Requirement for me) so I can run the iPod through the back into the glovebox, bluetooth calling and audio play back, as well as a front aux port. Very easy to use with plenty of color combos as well. I mounted the mic above the radio beside the little tray on top of the dash, and I have pretty clear calls for a Jeep, even when driving with the soft top and doors going 70mph down the highway. I haven't had it during topless season, but I doubt the hands-free calling will work with no top or doors, but it does do much better than I had expected
Would you mind to post a pic of how you have it mounted? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts