Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is getting her 2013 Unlimited soon, and I am in market for an aftermarket hitch. We won't be towing anything (if I need to tow I can do so with my truck), but we need the hitch for the hitch mounted cargo carrier to haul gas/firewood and other stinky and dirty/tacky stuff. So no wiring is required, all we need is the hitch. My main criteria is ease of installation (no trimming of plastic) and low price (that's why I didn't feel like paying over $400 for a factory one), my wife's main criteria is the looks. Could you please suggest me some brands? Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Plenty of threads here... Texting from my iPad, so I can't post links to guide you... But I will tell you what I did... I found mine at kijiji.ca and somebody listed one for 50 bucks... It was one of the best deals I ever got online... Very happy with it... I think I saved around 200-300 bucks vs factory (OEM)

·
Registered
272 Posts
i got the rugged ridge kit for 80 bucs on amazon, came with the plug and play harness.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Might be able to find a used factory hitch for sale. :whistling: I just so happen to have one I won't be needing if you'd like to make an offer. As long as you just need the hitch and not the wiring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you try to get it ask part of the deal from the dealer. I talked my dealer into installing side tube steps, hitch, and 7 point wire setup. All mopar accesories for "free". Technically it wasn't free but it did sweeten the deal.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The Hidden Hitch brand has better welds, better safety chain attach points, and a longer tube that helps clear the spare tire when you're transporting things on a cargo rack or something similar. Plus, it's only $10 more than the chinese Rugged Ridge/Smittybilt hitch.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The Hidden Hitch brand has better welds, better safety chain attach points, and a longer tube that helps clear the spare tire when you're transporting things on a cargo rack or something similar. Plus, it's only $10 more than the chinese Rugged Ridge/Smittybilt hitch.
Where is the Hidden Hitch made?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have the $59 Smitty and have no complaints.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Who makes the Quadratec hitch? That is what I plan on going with....

Edit:
After looking at the photos...I'm guessing Rugged Ridge makes the Quadratec hitch.....bummer.

I don't like the Hidden hitch version because it looks like there is a good chance I'll hit my shin on it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
FYI, my convo:
------

Hello,
I'm looking at you Quadratec Premium 2" hitch with wiring kit and jeep logo (#12015.1009) for $89.97 and I have few questions.

Can you tell me "who" makes this hitch for you, and it is made in the USA?

Also, how do I set up free shipping as a forum member?

Thanks!
---End Quote---
Hello panthermark,

The hitch is sourced overseas like most of the JK hitches (including MOPAR's). I believe only the hitches from Olympic 4x4 and Warrior Products are made in the USA. (excluding ones integrated into bumpers)

With free shipping, your total would be $89.97 delivered.
Please contact our sales department @ 1-800-745-2348, reference #xxxxxxxxx, and a rep will help assist you finalize the order.

Thanks for shopping with Quadratec!
--------------------

I don't know...

I'll have to take some measurments. I do know that on my Libby, I have to open the rear door in order to latch my hitch sometimes because the spare tire gets in the way. So maybe longer will be better. I also know that I've nearly done damage when squeezing into a tight parking spot. If a hitch extends out too far, I don't want that to be the first think that makes contact with the vehicle behind me when I parallel park.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I just got my Qtec combo kit in the mail this evening. The thing is beefy and the welds look great. The weld quality was one area I was concerned about. After close inspection I'm very happy with it.
Good to hear...
I went ahead and ordered the same one this morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed a Mopar hitch and wiring on a 2012 Wrangler.
Entire job took twenty minutes, and yes, it was more expensive
than aftermarket but the Jeep rubber plug matches the tire cover....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts