Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have done countless research online about wheel & tire combos. I want to change out my wheels on my JKU Sahara and have not decided on doing a full wheel/tire upgrade or doing a wheel upgrade and using the stock 18" Sahara 255/70/18 tires. I went on treaddepot's website and am looking at either the KMC XD Addict or Hoss wheels in a 17x9 or 18x9 wheel. The recommended tire size for the 17" wheels are 275/70/17 and the 18" are 265/70/18. They are available in both a 18mm offset (5.71 backspace) or -12mm offset (4.53 backspace). If I ran stock size tires I would look at the ATX Blade wheel in a 18x8.5 wheel with 2 offset options; 18mm (5.46 backspace) & 30mm (5.93 backspace). These match closer to stock setups. I use my Jeep as a daily driver and will not do much of any off-roading. I am not planning on doing a lift, just would like a wider stance and for it not to stick out past the fenders. My question is which wheel set up will less likely rub or have any issues when going from lock to lock on the steering wheel. Also, my other concern is the new wheel on the spare tire carrier. I do not want a wheel that will not sit properly and would like it to sit flush with the bumpstops. If I have to I will get a smittybuilt tire carrier. Any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey all, I have done countless research online about wheel & tire combos. I want to change out my wheels on my JKU Sahara and have not decided on doing a full wheel/tire upgrade or doing a wheel upgrade and using the stock 18" Sahara 255/70/18 tires. I went on treaddepot's website and am looking at either the KMC XD Addict or Hoss wheels in a 17x9 or 18x9 wheel. The recommended tire size for the 17" wheels are 275/70/17 and the 18" are 265/70/18. They are available in both a 18mm offset (5.71 backspace) or -12mm offset (4.53 backspace). If I ran stock size tires I would look at the ATX Blade wheel in a 18x8.5 wheel with 2 offset options; 18mm (5.46 backspace) & 30mm (5.93 backspace). These match closer to stock setups. I use my Jeep as a daily driver and will not do much of any off-roading. I am not planning on doing a lift, just would like a wider stance and for it not to stick out past the fenders. My question is which wheel set up will less likely rub or have any issues when going from lock to lock on the steering wheel. Also, my other concern is the new wheel on the spare tire carrier. I do not want a wheel that will not sit properly and would like it to sit flush with the bumpstops. If I have to I will get a smittybuilt tire carrier. Any advice would be helpful!
Stock backspace is 6.25 on a 7.5 wheel, so you can figure from there. Neither will give you clearance issues, so it'd be how much further you would want them to stick out.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Actually, stock backspacing is 6.0". It's stamped into the wheels. The OEM 16" steel wheels are 5.75".

If you stay around that 5.75" number, and use stock tires, they obviously you won't rub on the inside at all. On the outside, I think you'll be fine as well since we're only talking 1" wider.

These JKs soak up large tires pretty well. The people who have trouble are either running 35s on stock suspension, or 33s on stock wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts