Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Odyssey batteries in both Jeeps. JKU does not get driven for weeks at a time, TJ a week or two.

I'm looking at a Battery Minder 2012- AGM, also looking at the Battery Tender.

I'm looking at these two brands because of the accessories ( longer cables, ring terminals)

I know that they are not for discharge recovery but for a maintainer only

Would like input, pros and cons.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I do not have personal experience with either, but my father uses the Battery Tender for his 2008 corvette, weekend cruiser if he's not busy. I know he's had no complaints about it. Plugs it in, connects to the battery and forget about it. Has never had an issue firing up the corvette. And I believe he still has the stock battery in it. I know it's not jeep related, but hope this helps.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was up to 5 vehicles at one point and the truck (that I drive daily now) used to sit in the garage most of the time. After killing the battery a few times I bought a Battery Tender for it and I have no complaints. It works very well and since I wired in one of their leads and ran it out the front bumper I don't even need to lift the hood to plug it in. I have had an Odyssey battery in it now for a few years and still plug it in on weekends to top off the charge since we usually take the Jeep.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Another battery tender user here. For the record, a 750mA battery tender takes about 3 days to charge a battery from empty!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I've used the Battery Tender for a couple of years when I had my S2000 put up for the Winter. Since then I have been using it for my mower. No issues.

Mike

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I only use CTEK and never had any problems.

I specifically use a few 7002's on my Boat, Quad, Vehicles, ect... and they do great and have all the features I need.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, looks likes it's going to B a Battery Tender.

The Battery Tender is also the only one I can find, Battery Minders web site is out of stock on the 2012 AGM.

Strange that the manufa. is out of stock.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Thanks for the input, looks likes it's going to B a Battery Tender.

The Battery Tender is also the only one I can find, Battery Minders web site is out of stock on the 2012 AGM.

Strange that the manufa. is out of stock.
Be sure and get one of the ones with the terminals that attach to your battery posts, it has a quick disconnect and you can hang it out the side of the hood and save yourself from opening it and hooking up alligator clamps. They usually come with the smaller motorcycle Tenders. I have the tiny 750mA Battery Tender and it works great.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be sure and get one of the ones with the terminals that attach to your battery posts, it has a quick disconnect and you can hang it out the side of the hood and save yourself from opening it and hooking up alligator clamps. They usually come with the smaller motorcycle Tenders. I have the tiny 750mA Battery Tender and it works great.
Thanks, the ring terminals and disconnect are a must have for me!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This is what I did. Installed a NOCO Genius mini 1 onboard battery tender. I wanted to be able to let the fridge run for extended time if needed without worrying about the battery. I'll also be adding a splitter with an oil pan and tranny heater.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been using Battery Tenders for years on motorcycles and autos. Keeps batteries from eating themselves after several months of cold weather. Can't say that they double the life of your batteries, but they sure do extend the life.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
This is what I did. Installed a NOCO Genius mini 1 onboard battery tender. I wanted to be able to let the fridge run for extended time if needed without worrying about the battery. I'll also be adding a splitter with an oil pan and tranny heater.

That's pretty cool. I have thought about doing something similar with my F250, one plug runs the block heater and the battery tender. When you have $550 worth of batteries it would be nice to make them last!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Really nice setup!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I even like how you looped your cord. Lol.

I installed a Genius Mini2 in my TJ last week, sits on the ABS tray and have one of my batteries connected right now. I put the plug in the front bumper using a Marinco plug.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

That is, hands down, the most elegant system I've seen for a battery tender. You are the man!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Another vote for the battery tender. I have 4 of them over the last 8 years and they're all still ticking. I even have a solar powered 5 watt trickle charger for the lawn mower out in the shed. The thing I like most about the battery tender is that it has no on/off switch. Just provide AC power and away it goes. I have mine set up to a regular timer that turns it on in the evening and off after 6 hours. I did it that way since I'm not a fan of float charging for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Also, check your Odyssey battery for the float voltage range printed on top of your battery. As long as the battery charger has a float voltage somewhere above the standing voltage of the battery, you should be fine. If not, the battery charger will damage your Odyssey battery. A lot of folks don't check this and end up sulfating their Odyssey batteries and will prematurely fail.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Another vote for the battery tender. I have 4 of them over the last 8 years and they're all still ticking. I even have a solar powered 5 watt trickle charger for the lawn mower out in the shed. The thing I like most about the battery tender is that it has no on/off switch. Just provide AC power and away it goes. I have mine set up to a regular timer that turns it on in the evening and off after 6 hours. I did it that way since I'm not a fan of float charging for extended periods of time.
Also, check your Odyssey battery for the float voltage range printed on top of your battery. As long as the battery charger has a float voltage somewhere above the standing voltage of the battery, you should be fine. If not, the battery charger will damage your Odyssey battery. A lot of folks don't check this and end up sulfating their Odyssey batteries and will prematurely fail.
You seem like an electrically knowledgeable dude. So here's a few questions:

Something's drawing power off my Jeep battery, reduces it to about 50% over 2 days. Until I determine where the drain is coming from, I've been hooking it up to a Schumacher 3A-15A charger (using the 3A setting).

That does the job, but I'm wondering if it hurts the battery life if I charge it without allowing desulfation to take place. Or if I interrupt the desulfation process.

I travel a lot, and usually when I come home the charger is in the maintain mode, but I'm wondering if, for short charges that bring it up to 100%, it's not hurting overall battery life.

Yay? Nay?

I run a tender on my motorcycle, but that's never been an issue. It's also a simple plug-in deal, and stays hooked up all winter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
As long as the float voltage set forth by the battery manufacturer is being met, then what you're doing is adequate. It's only when float mode voltage is below what the battery requires you'll damage the battery. Any newer advanced charger/maintainer that is approved for AGM batteries should work fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts