Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are agm batterys really worth the price over lead acid batterys?I have a 2012 jku with wind and a few LED light bars

What is your thoughts on the Odyssey 34r pc1500t extreme series battery?

Is there anything special you need to do to maintain it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely check out that thread, but I have dual Odyssey Extremes in my JKU, using the Genesis kit, and couldn’t be happier.

There’s been debate about what’s needed to maintain the Odyssey Extreme batteries—amperage of charger and whatnot. I contacted Odyssey about this and their approved battery charger list...exchanged a few emails and they said that an AGM charger is all that is needed to keep your warranty intact. I was told it did not have to be one of the chargers listed in their documentation. I was also told that the amperage of the charger did not matter, beyond how fast it will charge the batteries.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ive got a Duralast Platinum AGM thats going on 7+ years now. Never had a lead acid battery last anywhere near that long.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I run AGM in my Jeep and my Ram. Got tired of acid eating paint and metal, and potentially me if I got too close. I use the above listed extreme Odyssey in the Jeep and have their 20 amp charger. I seldom drive the Ram or my classic car, so use the charger to keep their batteries up. I drive the Jeep enough that I have not had to charge it.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I won't run anything besides an AGM. They're just a better battery overall. If the increase in price scares you, then one of the East Penn batteries are a great option at a good price in my opinion.

The Duracell Platinum which is made by East Penn can be found at Sam's Club for $120 and is the current best price on an AGM I have found.

Here is my latest revision to Group Size 34 AGM battery comparison. I still need to figure out who makes the Duralast/AutoCraft AGMs found at Autozone and Advanced Auto. It may be ACDelco but I'm uncertain if ACDelco manufactures their own batteries or outsources it at this time.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I really don't care for the AGMs, especially in older vehicles. My 2014 came factory with an AGM so I replaced it with an Interstate AGM replacement, no issues and cheaper than most I found

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you wheel, go straight to the AGM. In the unlikely event of a flop or roll, one less thing to worry about.

I have the Autocraft AGM, had it for about 3 years and it's been fine. It was even in a flop.

According to the MSDS sheet, the Auto Craft AGM battery is now made by Johnson Controls as is the Duralast battery from Auto Zone.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I won't run anything besides an AGM. They're just a better battery overall. If the increase in price scares you, then one of the East Penn batteries are a great option at a good price in my opinion.

The Duracell Platinum which is made by East Penn can be found at Sam's Club for $120 and is the current best price on an AGM I have found.

Here is my latest revision to Group Size 34 AGM battery comparison. I still need to figure out who makes the Duralast/AutoCraft AGMs found at Autozone and Advanced Auto. It may be ACDelco but I'm uncertain if ACDelco manufactures their own batteries or outsources it at this time.

I can't find anything that tells the manufacturer or country of origin on the AutoCraft I just installed. :blackeye

According to this guy, they are manufactured by JCI https://www.maintainyourride.com/autocraft-battery

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I really don't care for the AGMs, especially in older vehicles. My 2014 came factory with an AGM so I replaced it with an Interstate AGM replacement, no issues and cheaper than most I found
People who rode horses felt the same way about "those darn horseless carriages" when the automobile came out. :)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Just posted before you, the Advance and Auto Zone AGM's are made by Johnson Controls. That data was in the MSDS sheet
That's what I figured, I'm just skeptical of most info on teh webz. e.g., that platinum above shows 740 CCA for the H6 and the one I just installed is clearly marked 760 CCA. :)

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
An AGM battery is a good idea if you have a winch (and use it)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That's what I figured, I'm just skeptical of most info on teh webz. e.g., that platinum above shows 740 CCA for the H6 and the one I just installed is clearly marked 760 CCA. :)

Excellent! JCI it is. So you have an Autocraft and it doesn't have a "Made in ____" stamp on it anywhere? I've been wanting to go to Autozone or Advanced Auto to see if it had where it was made on it. From what I've been seeing, JCI seems to be making the majority of their AGMs in Mexico but don't want to speculate.

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts

Massively humorous to me... All those batteries and I have an AGM Champion that's not on the spreadsheet...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
An AGM battery is a good idea if you have a winch (and use it)

They're also good if you go off road. The plates in the standard lead acid batteries have been known to slosh around, bang into each other and cause premature failure when driving on some of the rough terrains.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Massively humorous to me... All those batteries and I have an AGM Champion that's not on the spreadsheet...

Champion makes an AGM battery? I've Googled "Group Size 34 AGM batteries" until the cows came home and haven't seen that one pop up.

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
yup, I run a h-6 or group 48 Interstate, not their marine battery. And I do run AGM because that was standard equip in Jeeps. But I'll stand by my original statement of not running AGMs in older vehicles that don't have charging systems designed for an agm. I've seem them flop dead in 6 months. When the horseless carriage fails the horse can still go. The technology is pretty established now but when new there were definitely issues.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts