Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm off of school and had some simple projects in mind to complete. Yesterday I tore the heater box out and replaced the fan with a larger one (more on this later). I pulled the carb (carter POS) and did a rebuild along with soaking and blowing out all the passages. I then replaced the valve cover gasket and cleaned up most of the blow by that was accumulating.

I started to replace the carb. Forgot which vac lines went where and didnt pay attention to where my autochoke was set. Other than that, incredibly simple as most of you know.

I started the pig up. After some fuel got to the carb it seemed to idle fine. R's went unusually high then (hovering around 2K). I backed out of the garage to swing down the side street. Beyond the high idle, the b!tch didn't want to go anywhere without sputtering. I pulled back into the garage, pulled the air cleaner and swapped two vac lines that I wasn't sure on. I pulled on the linkage and it seemed to clean up the sputtering.

Here's where it gets interesting, I noticed smoke coming from the firewall by the heater hoses. Wouldn't you know it... The lower heater hose was pissing coolant everywhere, LOTS of it. I'm guessing I forced the heater box back in and pinched a hole into the outlet passage.

Oh, and it was leaking tranny fluid.

Right now I'm thinking my dad was right (yet again) and should have let somebody else buy the jeep.

Anybody have any comments? What normally leaks on the tranny? Does my assumption on the heater core sound correct? Any guidelines on where to set my autochoke tension?

Hope you had a good holiday season

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it a auto or manual transmission
It is a manual, I ordered a heater core today and will get that buttoned up before cleaning things up to source the problem. I'm just looking for the 'usual' places these leak from.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
where is the leak dripping from? front of tranny by bellhousing or rear tail shaft

1 - 4 of 4 Posts