Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front drivers side inner axle seal leaking on my 90 yj. I have alredy cracked my diff open and removed both front axles. I am not sure how to get to the seal or what special tools will be needed if any. If anybody can give me a step by step I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Bryce

·
Genius
20,965 Posts
I've never done the driver side inner seal but I did do the passenger side inner seal and it was a PITA without the right tools.

All I can tell you is how I did the passenger side and you can see if it applies to the driver side.

The seal I did had to be driven from the outside in to the open area where the vacuum motor and shift fork and collar are. I used a really long screwdriver and a hammer to drive it out. I had to manufactured a tool to pull the new one in. I don't know if somebody makes one to put it in or not, I never bothered to look. I used the flat round part from a seal driver kit, the right size for the seal. Then I took a long piece of threaded rod and cut out a flat piece of steel with a hole for the threaded rod to go through. I put the seal driver part on the inside of vacuum motor shift area with the seal in place. Then I shoved the threaded rod through with the flat piece on it and a washer and nut on the outside of that. The flat piece will sit against the outside of the axle housing so you can use the nut and tighten it to pull the seal in place. Then I put the seal driver over the threaded rod and put a nut behind it, and lastly started tightening the outside nut to pull the seal in and that is it.

So thats what I did and you'll have to let me know if this will work on the driver side or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts