Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2008 JK with Speaker Evo LED headlights. Great, right? They weren't great. Didn't really seem like they provided much illumination, I was kinda unimpressed. But I noticed the "hot spots" were right out in front of me so I did some reading and decided they needing aligning.

Read a couple of different websites, including Speaker's, about how to aim them and got it done.

Wow. What a difference. They were shooting way way too low and getting them up some has made everything better. They are AMAZING. Love love love them (now).

But ... worried I'm shooting them too high. One site said "draw a horizontal line 36 inches high." Others said you have to account for the lift of your Jeep, and use the center of your headlights. Ny center point of the headlights is about 41 inches.

No one is blinking their high beams at me (yet) but it does seem my headlights are reaching OUT THERE, and I haven't drive a ton at night yet. Don't want to blind people. Your thoughts/experience and ideas on this?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
My simple rule of thumb is 2" below center line at the Front wall.

- Measure ground to center of HL mounted in the Jeep.
- Transfer that measurement to the front wall
- Adjust Top line of projected line (cut-off line) to 2" below and drive it,
If it seems to be a little "attention getting" adjust down another 1".

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
When I changed my headlights from stock to the Quadratec LED, I turned on my stock headlights with my jeep roughly 25' from a wall and I put an X with painters tape on the wall at each hot stop from the stock headlights. I then swapped the headlights and adjusted the Quadratecs to hit the same spot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I changed my headlights from stock to the Quadratec LED, I turned on my stock headlights with my jeep roughly 25' from a wall and I put an X with painters tape on the wall at each hot stop from the stock headlights. I then swapped the headlights and adjusted the Quadratecs to hit the same spot.
smart

·
Registered
832 Posts
Turn your lights on and walk out 50 ft. in front of your Jeep. If you cant look into your headlights they're too high. You can tell if they're not even because one will look brighter than the other.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used the 2 inch rule when I adjusted mine, and I have not had one person flash at me in the year since i put them on.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
- Measure from the ground to center of headlight globe. (I.E. 34”)
- Put a piece of tape on a flat wall and mark at that measurement (34”)
- pull the Jeep up to 25’ from that wall and turn headlights on
- the hot spot of the headlight beam on low beam should be (approx 1/2 - 1”) below the mark you put on the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Lots of good advice so far. The thing I look for, does the headlight shine into the cabin of the car in front of you at a red light or stop sign, if yes aim down a little.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Lots of good advice so far. The thing I look for, does the headlight shine into the cabin of the car in front of you at a red light or stop sign, if yes aim down a little.
This is what I look for. When I got my JW Speaker J2s I wasn't sure how to aim them, so I put a mark on the garage wall where the OEM lights hit it. I backed up as far as I could... maybe ten feet... and still keep the Jeep level. I adjusted the new lights to the same place as the old marks.

I don't get flashed by cars at night on a regular basis... rarely even. I do notice that my beams are just at the top of the trunk when I'm behind small cars at stop lights.

One exception though...if you load the Jeep down with gear at night, you will tilt them up and annoy folks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've exception though...if you load the Jeep down with gear at night, you will tilt them up and annoy folks.
I keep the torx driver in the center console for a quick adjustment in situations like this where I'm heavy loaded and people start flashing. Though since I added my lift I've had a lot less sag in the rear so haven't had to make the adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts