Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched here and googled but cannot find a definitive aiming method other than being 25’ from the wall. Some say pull close to wall for initial light aiming height. I did that but am getting flashed every morning several times.
I just added the Qtec heated projector leds and added a second adjustment screw for horizontal adjustment.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I did the the 25 foot thing, takes some effort but works well and you get both horizontal and vertical right. Another method I stumbled on last year as my neighbor was complaining he was getting flashed by on coming traffic and flipped off as pulled up behind cars at night. Had him park behind his Toyota Corolla as if at a stop sign and turned on his lights. Yup, it was aiming straight into the rear view mirror. Grabbed my 15 torx and adjusted them down so the cut off was right below the the trunk lip. No more flashes. He later did the 25 foot method to dial it in. Yesteryear most shops had headlight adjuster tool to aim them properly, wonder if they still have them.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the the 25 foot thing, takes some effort but works well and you get both horizontal and vertical right. Another method I stumbled on last year as my neighbor was complaining he was getting flashed by on coming traffic and flipped off as pulled up behind cars at night. Had him park behind his Toyota Corolla as if at a stop sign and turned on his lights. Yup, it was aiming straight into the rear view mirror. Grabbed my 15 torx and adjusted them down so the cut off was right below the the trunk lip. No more flashes. He later did the 25 foot method to dial it in. Yesteryear most shops had headlight adjuster tool to aim them properly, wonder if they still have them.
What I need is a height value to aim them too. I read one manufacture uses 36” but cannot find such a value for a Jeep.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I aimed mine level with each other and drove around. As long as cars kept flashing their headlights at me I kept adjusting slightly lower until no one flashed their headlights anymore. Once I found that spot any additional cars that continued flashing their lights (once a month) they would just get a flash back. taadaaa

·
Registered
5 Posts
What I need is a height value to aim them too. I read one manufacture uses 36” but cannot find such a value for a Jeep.

I just measured from the ground to the center of my headlights. Marked that with some tape on a piece of wood and used the 25ft rule. It seems to have worked well as I don’t get people flashing their brights at me and when I’m at a stop, I’m not lighting up the inside of the car in front of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Each vehicle height is different. You have to measure from the ground to center of headlight.
Use that measurement to make a mark on your test wall.
Park the Jeep 25’ from said wall ..
Top of lowbeam hot spot should be at you height mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
25 feet back and then about put a line or tape about 36" high on the wall.. have the top of the beam pattern just at the 36" line. Note mine is lifted 2" on 35s. so you need to adjust up or down a bit.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just measured from the ground to the center of my headlights. Marked that with some tape on a piece of wood and used the 25ft rule. It seems to have worked well as I don’t get people flashing their brights at me and when I’m at a stop, I’m not lighting up the inside of the car in front of me.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is what I did but I am lifted 2 1/2” on 35’s. I’ll try doing the 36” mark and see how it does.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I like to pull up to the wall and mark the cutoff with a piece of tape. Then back away to 25' and adjust the cutoff to hit 2" below the tape. Works every time.

Reactions: MRBachand

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here is a spreadsheet constructed from Daniel Stern Lighting''s compilation. The webpage shown at the bottom will take you to how to measure each of the three different types of headlights and will give you the basis for math behind the spreadsheet.
I put E-Code lights in my wife's stock jeep and the upper yellow stripe are the stock settings. The lower yellow stripe is for my jeep with a 2.5" lift and 34" tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a spreadsheet constructed from Daniel Stern Lighting''s compilation. The webpage shown at the bottom will take you to how to measure each of the three different types of headlights and will give you the basis for math behind the spreadsheet.
I put E-Code lights in my wife's stock jeep and the upper yellow stripe are the stock settings. The lower yellow stripe is for my jeep with a 2.5" lift and 34" tires.
Mind explaining the headings on the columns?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
E-Codes are European beams. DOT VOL or DOT VOR are American beams and usually are written on the face of the lamp. It's all very well explained (with pictures) in the link at the bottom. In fact, the pictures will show you the different beam patterns.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used JW Speaker's headlight aiming instructions

https://www.jwspeaker.com/resources/instruction-sheet-aiming-highlow-or-low-beam-only-headlights/

Park as close as you can to a wall on a flat surface. Cover and mark the center of the beam with a "+" using electrical tape.

Backup until tour headlights are at 25' from the marks you made and adjust your lights to the same "+" marks you made.

This has given me plenty of light in the dark, and people have stopped flashing me as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts