Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a new front bar on my jk unlimited 08 and disconected my fog lamps. I now find my air bag lights come on and alarm rings sometimes.Did I screw something up or is there a easy fix.thanxs

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Not sure you meant to write that. You made one? My vote is for:

Screwed up something. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 08 as well and have the same issue with the airbag light. As it turns out its a failry common issue that Chrysler refuses to take car of... On left hand drive Jeeps, although they issued a recall for the same issue on right hand drive Jeeps. The issues is the clock spring. It is a electronic component behind the steering wheel and airbag that keeps a constant signal to the airbag so that in the event of an accident it gets the sginal no matter the position of the wheel. The component is neither a spring nor does it have anything to do with a clock. It does however cost about $500 to have your dealership fix it. It is replaceable yourself if you are somewhat comfortable doing minor repairs yourself and there are several how to's online. There are numerous complaints on NHTSA web site for the issue and it will likely at some point be a recall. Good news is that if you get it fixed and with in a year they issue a recall you are able to get a refund for the repair.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
av8er50 said:
I have an 08 as well and have the same issue with the airbag light. As it turns out its a failry common issue that Chrysler refuses to take car of... On left hand drive Jeeps, although they issued a recall for the same issue on right hand drive Jeeps. The issues is the clock spring. It is a electronic component behind the steering wheel and airbag that keeps a constant signal to the airbag so that in the event of an accident it gets the sginal no matter the position of the wheel. The component is neither a spring nor does it have anything to do with a clock. It does however cost about $500 to have your dealership fix it. It is replaceable yourself if you are somewhat comfortable doing minor repairs yourself and there are several how to's online. There are numerous complaints on NHTSA web site for the issue and it will likely at some point be a recall. Good news is that if you get it fixed and with in a year they issue a recall you are able to get a refund for the repair.
The Tj it was an issue

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well the clock spring was the issue. The replaced it for me for $100. Now hope for the recall and getting my $$ back!

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
av8er50 said:
Well the clock spring was the issue. The replaced it for me for $100. Now hope for the recall and getting my $$ back!
There is now a ex-warranty on the clock spring. I got a letter in the mail.
Sure it pertains to all years. Mine is an 07

You should of paid $0 for it.
Call them and get your money back

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well crap, I haven't gotten a letter and can't find anything online. Hope I get a letter so I can get that $100 back!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there any information ie a phone number to call, tsb type number or anything on the letter you got that I can use to check with Chysler?

There is now a ex-warranty on the clock spring. I got a letter in the mail.
Sure it pertains to all years. Mine is an 07

You should of paid $0 for it.
Call them and get your money back

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Is there any information ie a phone number to call, tsb type number or anything on the letter you got that I can use to check with Chysler?
Storm into the dealership, grab the nearest salesperson by the throat, and start screaming about how they ripped you off for a warranty repair. Preferably in front of as many customers as possible. Spray spittle, if you can. That always helps.

You'll either get immediate satisfaction, or will get a free bologna sandwich and a bruised apple for dinner, while bunking with a dude covered in tats. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts