Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the flapper in the bottom of the air box ? and how does it function?:wavey:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Had a tough time converting this from the SM but here it is

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amiller, Air filter box, I guess it depends on year? On mine the flapper is at bottom left side of the air filter box, looking from the front of the jeep.I have an 89yj with a 90 or later air box.(at least thats what it looks like in the haynes manual). Jokerchief Thanks, as usual the correct info I'm looking for.THANKS for the XTRA effort!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It's a gate to allow either cold air in, or hot air in from the exhaust manifold. Might seem like something absolutely pointless, especially in hot weather, but since the gate is temperature controlled (essentially) it won't allow hot air in when it's hot out. When it's cold, the first thing that heats up quickly on the engine is the exhaust manifold, so it takes that warm air and sends it into the engine to make cold warm ups a lot easier.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Xpress, I was concerned, the nipple is broken off the moter that controls the flapper, I didn't think it was getting enough air.I've got a mixed bag of butchery when PO'S did engine swap with another 2.5 from a different year.From looking at the air filter box I have , the haynes manual says mine is for 1990 and latter models. Mine is a 1989YJ.VERY CONFUSING!! Thanks !!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts