Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
200 miles from home, 4am, 20 degrees. The 2015 Wrangler cabin heater started blowing cool air and then the engine overheat alarm started.
That's when I realized that the sound of water sloshing I'd heard earlier in the day had been air in the coolant.

It wasn't safe to pull over, so we put it in neutral and revved the engine a bit for a few seconds until it cooled down and the cabin heat returned.
We repeated that about 4 times before we could pull over.

We pulled over and looked in the reservoir and saw plenty of fluid, but bubbles rising through it. It didn't seem to be steam. The air above the coolant wasn't very hot.

Guessing that it might be air escaping, I left the cap off the reservoir and we continued the rest of the way without any more overheating.

Did I really manage to bleed the air out through the reservoir? That seems nuts.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
100,531 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Sounds like you are low on coolant, and have air in your cooling system. I suggest that you look for a coolant leak. Radiator top by drivers side, and or thermostat housing, are the most common leak area's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks. I understand what caused the problem. I'm baffled by what seems to have fixed it (temporarily). Did the air in the coolant escape through the open reservoir.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If there is any air in the system then it will most surely get pushed out into the overflow sooner or later. Make sure there is antifreeze in the overflow so that air gets replaced with antifreeze and not more air when th system contracts and starts sucking back in.

The question is.... how did the air get in there in the first place? Did you have the rad cap off at some point?

No need to leave the cap off the reservoir... it's already vented.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I suspect a small leak. I notice a slight smell of coolant after driving, although there's nothing leaking onto the ground.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
look at the bottom driver's side of the radiator and look for pink residue. It may drip a lot and then seal and drip and seal. that is what mine did on my 2014 before replacing the radiator. First tell tale sign was the smell. It passed a pressure test a couple of times at the dealership before I finally witnessed it dripping at the lower corner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey OP, 2014 JK here with coolant issues. long story short I found my phantom leak plus evidence of a hole in the radiator right where Old Dogger and jadmt have both said.

I will add that my phantom leak was located where the hose from the coolant overflow bottle connects to the top of the radiator. I zip tied it to get it to stop dripping with the intention of getting a proper hose clamp, but surprisingly the zip tie has still held up so I'll keep it on there until Spring when I replace the radiator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked this afternoon and noticed that there's no clamp on that line.
I'm pretty sure that's what's leaking.
It's my wife's Jeep, so she took it to the dealer to put a clamp on it.
I guess I shouldn't tell her that a zip tie would have solved it.

Thanks all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts