Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys I'm looking for a cheap air compressor I can put in the back of the jeep to air up my tires after I go wheeling. I'm not looking to spend the money on one of the on board ones. Anyone have any suggestions on which ones to look at?

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you're not looking to spend a lot of $ but just want something to get you through, Harbor Freight has a pancake compressor that would work.....just expect to take time airing up. I bought it as a garage portable compressor for the house (pool floats, bike tires, etc). It's worked well for me for about 2 years now but is slow. I think you may want to save up a few more dollars and get the on board variety. Installed once, never forgotten, and easy to use.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
For now, I purchased this one from Pep Boys for about $50 bucks:
http://m.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/00314

It won't win any races but it has aired my 35's back up several times without issue.

It will hold me over until I can afford a PowerTank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Smittybilt Wrangler High Performance Air Compressor 5.65 CFM/ 160 LPM (Universal Application) 2781 (87-15 Wrangler YJ, TJ, & JK) - Free Shipping

Airs up my 35s (and everyone else's) in no time at all. Love this thing. Only guy faster than me has a co2 canister.

^^^^^ I agree. This thing is a monster. My brother has the onboard air. I'm all done airing up and he still has a tie to go. Take maybe 10 minutes to air up. The cheaper ones well stop and you have let them cool down be for continuing. Save you money and get a good one. You don't want to spend 30 to 40 minutes airing up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
viair 400p works great for me
+1 I had an inexpensive compressor, $60 range. Plugged into the 12v outlet. It's ok to top off a low tire but to air up 4 tires from 14 to 35lbs takes a long time. Bought the Viair it works really well. I'm having air lockers installed so I'm having it permenantly mounted in my Jeep.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
i had an inexpensive one for a long time. Worked fine. Now I just got the ARB twin. Much faster but a lot more money.

·
Registered
927 Posts
For now, I purchased this one from Pep Boys for about $50 bucks:
http://m.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/00314

It won't win any races but it has aired my 35's back up several times without issue.

It will hold me over until I can afford a PowerTank.
I have had the same one for a couple years, still works great, use it all the time, only flaw I have found is the gauge is not accurate at all.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Running the ARB twin unit. Airs up our 37X13s in about 2.5 minutes per tire. Have it mounted in the engine bay on a M.O.R.E. plate, wired into the sPOD. This way we never leave home without it. Portables are nice but they get forgotten at home and then you have to lug them in and out of the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts