Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an air compressor question. After having done what I felt was thorough research I ask for a Viair 400H air compressor with the intend on mounting it in the engine bay of my Wrangler 2 door. My desire was to have a hard mounted always ready to go air compressor so I could easily fill deflated tires and general 4x4 use (whatever that might entail). After getting the compressor I was reading through it and started thinking maybe it is not the right one for me. Reasons for this is that it needs an open chuck with seems to limit my options, the mounting brackets are spendy, I need to buy a hose kit (30-40 dollars depending).

After doing MORE research I am wondering if the 400P Automatic might be a better/more versatile choice. Seems to have a better option set for filling tires, can deflate/inflate out of the box, and is portable so I COULD bring it in the GC if we want to take that to the beach.

I also think from looking at it that I can probably mount it eventually in the engine bay if I want.

Anyway, any opinions would be great!

Thanks!
DAVE

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've watched a lot of guys around here use various "portable" compressors with good success. The only issue I'd have is the time it takes to pack/unpack the compressor every time and a convenient place to store it. As far as the open chuck design requirement, I'd put a "T" at the pump with a pressure switch and a pressure relief valve.

High pressure air can hurt you, don't cut safety corners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I have an air compressor question. After having done what I felt was thorough research I ask for a Viair 400H air compressor with the intend on mounting it in the engine bay of my Wrangler 2 door. My desire was to have a hard mounted always ready to go air compressor so I could easily fill deflated tires and general 4x4 use (whatever that might entail). After getting the compressor I was reading through it and started thinking maybe it is not the right one for me. Reasons for this is that it needs an open chuck with seems to limit my options, the mounting brackets are spendy, I need to buy a hose kit (30-40 dollars depending).

After doing MORE research I am wondering if the 400P Automatic might be a better/more versatile choice. Seems to have a better option set for filling tires, can deflate/inflate out of the box, and is portable so I COULD bring it in the GC if we want to take that to the beach.

I also think from looking at it that I can probably mount it eventually in the engine bay if I want.

Anyway, any opinions would be great!

Thanks!
DAVE
Did you ever mount the air compressor under the hood and if so which did you go with and can you provide a picture of the setup?
Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a 450C mounted under the hood for a long time. However, when I went to the MetalCloaks, I lost the space I needed and then went to a 400P portable in the trunk. The 400P is much more versatile IMO; it is easy to use and move from vehicle to vehicle. It also takes up only slightly more room than a air hose and chuck does by itself (the 400P bag is the same size as the tool bag I used for my hose, chuck and deflators).

The hard mounted 450C did have some advantages though - mainly that I always had it with me". I tucked the air hose and chuck under the back seat and have helped at least 2 people stuck at gas stations with inoperable air pumps. I find with the 400P that I almost always leave it home unless I was going off-roading, worried about a "quick theft". Granted, this was in my YJ and even though I had a "security trunk", it wasn't very secure. If you have a more modern rig with locks that actually lock, it wouldn't take up much space to leave in your trunk full-time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 450C mounted under the hood for a long time. However, when I went to the MetalCloaks, I lost the space I needed and then went to a 400P portable in the trunk. The 400P is much more versatile IMO; it is easy to use and move from vehicle to vehicle. It also takes up only slightly more room than a air hose and chuck does by itself (the 400P bag is the same size as the tool bag I used for my hose, chuck and deflators).

The hard mounted 450C did have some advantages though - mainly that I always had it with me". I tucked the air hose and chuck under the back seat and have helped at least 2 people stuck at gas stations with inoperable air pumps. I find with the 400P that I almost always leave it home unless I was going off-roading, worried about a "quick theft". Granted, this was in my YJ and even though I had a "security trunk", it wasn't very secure. If you have a more modern rig with locks that actually lock, it wouldn't take up much space to leave in your trunk full-time.

View attachment 4453693
Thanks for the information - I"m still haven't made up my mind yet on which way to go.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
On board air seems a constant discussion point. How/where to mount, cfm vs duty cycle, external tank, ease of use, etc.

I‘ll give my 2 pennies. I did a Viair 440p. I could not be happier for my needs, which is really where someone should start. I’m not planning on using air tools (electric tools provide as much or more power and are way easier and take up the same space), and I like the flexibility of taking it from one vehicle to another. CFM is great, but duty cycle sucks. I don’t care, though, because at a minute a tire from 18 to 37, it barely gets hot. It was also less than half the money of the ARB.

I got a set of the screw on deflators ($20) so I just babble for a couple minutes while the tires air down. Then I pull the compressor out of the back and air up as needed. Easy peasy. I don’t like the air down method of pulling the valve core as it seems that is introducing a failure point, but that is very much personal preference.

My point is, determine what is higher priority and go from there. I spent a lot of time researching how to mount a compressor and a tank and never liked what I came up with. Now for a fraction of the cost, I have a killer solution that will be in whatever vehicle I ever have. Hope that offers some insight.

·
Registered
736 Posts
a 400P for what its worth ,,,
and it works just fine

but no matter the compressor the biggest annoyance is having to deal with each tire individually .
going up or down
IMHO the best thing you can do is fab together an octopus rig .
kill 4 birds with 1 stone ,then pack it up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts