Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So the under front bumper plastic air dam is loose and rattling (The plastic rivet thingies), and am debating taking it off…..(I honestly also hate the way it looks) ….I’ve read a bunch of threads of folks who got wind noise, and those who took it off and never looked back……
Anyway….if for some reason I have an issue I can just re-install it, no problem there…..but my main question is on the metal bar that is just behind it and under the bumper…..what’s that for???.....if I take the dam off, I’m afraid it would just look bad down there……anybody cut it of???....any effects??...

Thanks in advance!

SP

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I don't have it on mine either. What noise, its a jeep LOL

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Drive forward into deep mud.

Stop.

Back out of the mud hole.

Problem solved.

Just remember to clean up after yourself - you can probably toss it into the recycle bin.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I went a bit more civilized route- I drilled out the plastic rivets and gave it to a guy who had front end damage and wanted it for some reason. I did not cut the "bash bar" - I bolted a skid from my steel bumper to the bar- now you don't see it. It's some kind of frontal crash govt requirement crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey!

I like the way you guys think....jajajaja...they're both coming off this weekend....sheesh! (Preparing sawsall)....Had that hiddeous thing on for too long...I mean...a Jeep with a plastic front air damn....man!!! (Sorry...still getting used to the JK thing)...jajaja

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
Hey! I like the way you guys think....jajajaja...they're both coming off this weekend....sheesh! (Preparing sawsall)....Had that hiddeous thing on for too long...I mean...a Jeep with a plastic front air damn....man!!! (Sorry...still getting used to the JK thing)...jajaja Thanks all!
Hey ... At least you aren't calling it a "skid plate" like some lol

Just remove the plastic dam. Keep the cross bar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take it off I thought about it for about a day and took it off notice nothing besides better looks. I drive my jeep about a hour high ways 3 times a week as well.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Don't be surprised by the hood flutter the first time you drive on the highway without the airdam. I ended up putting on rugged ridge hood latches.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
It's not a structural element. It's there to control airflow in the engine compartment and reduce undercarriage drag so the only consequences are an uptick in hood flutter, noise and fuel consumption.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey!

Thanks for the replies all.....im taking the dam off tonight, and depending on if its visible (and how much) I may cut the bar tomorrow...

I already have the replacement keyed latches, so I dont expect hood flutter.....Ill report back on final results...

thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts