Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend tell me this (performance) air filter should be covered to reduce dust catch. I just ordered a new universal K&N replacement. If I keep the new filter washed occasionally, is this setup a problem? Too I've seen some websites that suggest an engine heat blocker shield...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yea that's a problem. Get a stock air box. All you are doing is sucking up a lot of heat and dust.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
You will find that the large majority of people on this forum feel the same as Neil.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would put a stock box back on. You're not going to gain much one or two HP from using that and it's certainly not as efficient in filtering out dirt than a stock box.

I've got mine for sale if you'd like.

Also, what's with the wire loom on stuff?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would put a stock box back on. You're not going to gain much one or two HP from using that and it's certainly not as efficient in filtering out dirt than a stock box. I've got mine for sale if you'd like. Also, what's with the wire loom on stuff?
That's a shoe string holding the filter up. You can shoot me a PM about the standard setup if you'd like.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
That air filter has been shown to be the absolute air filter for actually filtering the air without giving any performance boost to the TJ despite the hype by K&N. YES a K&N can help improve the performance in vehicles with restrictive air intakes but the TJ's air intake is completely non-restrictive so a K&N doesn't help even 1%. What it does do better is let in more harmful fine dust/silica/dirt particulates.

I would revert it back to the stock air intake box with a good paper element air filter like made by AC-Delco, Purolator, Fram, etc.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The blue/purple wire loom is what I was asking you about. It's on your hoses for your a/c, breather on the valve cover, and your vacuum hose going to your brake booster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts