Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Need to replace mine and thought I would check if the $60 K&N is worth the extra $35 over and above the standard filter from Autozone or O'Reillys etc.

Thanks all. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, the greatness of the K&N drop-in is widely disputed here (I'm a believer as long as you're not talking super-heavy dust and grime) but you should be able to find it on eBay for well under $40.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have the k&n drop in. I really like it. I got it because I didn't want to spend money on paper filters every 3 mo.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Define "works best". Bang for the buck power wise the stock setup wins. Best at letting dirt, dust and small animals into your engine the K&N filters take the crown. Best at removing money from your wallet for no good reason would be a CAI.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
With all due respect to the late Jeff Brooks, may he rest in peace, ...

K&N filters are a total waste of money for computer controlled engines, and, worse, may do damage to sensors or your engine.

You couldn't pay me to use a K&N filter!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Anyone do a UOA with their stock filter and then do it again after installing and using a non-stock filter on dusty roads? The Silicon level in your oil will be a good indicator of the effectiveness of your filter.

I've found that the stock filter can be ineffective and have found some techniques that make it very effective when driving on dusty roads. I don’t have any experience with non-stock filters and how well they block dust.

If you don’t drive your Jeep in dust then maybe it doesn’t matter…

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
....I've found that the stock filter can be ineffective and have found some techniques that make it very effective when driving on dusty roads. ...
I, for one, would appreciate more info on your techniques....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I, for one, would appreciate more info on your techniques....
If you drive in dust (like me) a UOA will help you determine if your filter is working properly. If you drive in the dust and have a Silicon level in the low teens then your filter is probably good. If you see higher numbers then you may need to do some work. If you have really high numbers you need to fix something.

Don’t want to do a UOA? Well, you can take off your air inlet tube that connects your air cleaner to the engine. Do you see/feel any dust in the tube? It should be clean - no dirt. Do you see any indication of dirt intake in the tube or on the throttle body where the clamps connect to the box and throttle body? When you take your air cleaner out of the box do you see any indication of dirt up in the lid - where it should be clean?

I’ve found dirt can get in where the box is supposed to seal, and at the two clamps.

To not de-rail this thread I can start a new thread that goes into what I’ve found and done to help keep the dust out of your engine and oil.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Filter1.com #49018, order 5, free shipping $10.03 each. Great filters. No sales tax.
Ordering anything else is just silly.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Doing a $25 UOA to determine if a $15 filter is doing its job seems a bit silly. Stock setups have proven very good at filtering. The visual test is more worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Doing a $25 UOA to determine if a $15 filter is doing its job seems a bit silly. Stock setups have proven very good at filtering. The visual test is more worthwhile.
As I indicated you don't have to do a UOA, you can just look at the parts and if you see dust/dirt in the parts you can guess how much got sucked into your engine/oil, but the UOA will confirm if your system is working (or not) properly. I don't think most people care if their $15 filter is broken, most may care if their engine is getting excessive damage from dirt. Then again I don't think most people drive their Jeeps in the dust, so it’s a non-issue for them.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Mrlobaloba said:
I am a big fan of my AFE drop in dry filter
This sounds cool. Can you go into more detail?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts