Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got about 250 dollars that i can spend on jeep parts and i was looking at air intakes and i was wondering if they are worth it and i was also wondering if they keep water out of the filter well enough

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I agree. air intakes are a COMPLETE WASTE. other than sounding a little cooling. The TJ's air intake is already completely optimized, I have seen dyno tests and all kinda of data and none of them really show anything beneficial and in some cases the air intake is hampered and it looses power.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright sounds pretty definitive..... no intake how about a cat back exhaust lets say borla?

·
Registered
811 Posts
There really isn't any cheap power to be had out of the 4.0L, and there's no point in trying to inspire the 4-hamster motor to higher output, even if you have and are willing to spend money trying.

Honestly, there aren't many Jeep tasks that require much more power than the 4.0L has, assuming you have correct and proper gearing for your tire size and intended use. If you truly need more power than the 4.0 offers, look at either a stroker rebuild or a v8 swap.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i completly disagree. i put a magnaflow exhaust on my old 04x with a I6 and could deffently tell a diffence. some exhaust companies claim on ave a pick up of about 10hp. and as for the intake if i were to buy one ide buy airraid. really quality stuff they put out. but as for any gains idk bout that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The intake is worth upgrading after you have done a few other mods for the engine to really optimize the added airflow. I added mine after driving with header, high flow cat and crossover pipe, catback, and larger throttle body and it definately made a big difference in power

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good aftermarket intakes work but are only worth it if you are running stock/30" or less tires. They will pep the jeep up a nice bit and can add some MPG but dont expect to get your money back from it MPG wise its a slight bump. If you are looking to regain power from bigger tires or a lift $1000 worth of bolts ons wont even come close to 10% of what a regear will do for you. Also i dont think ide bother with one for the 2.5L but might for the 2.4. I got the AEM because of the dry filter and some dynos pulls I saw on JPmagazine. I love not having to deal with oil when i clean my filter.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
personally i love my intake and my cat back exhaust.
lots of people tell me im dumb but they can all go sh*t in their hands
cuz its your jeep do what you want to do with it

·
Registered
453 Posts
i also have about $300 to spend i was thinking of getting a cat back exhaust, does anyone suggest getting an intake for a better sound to compliment the exhaust or should i just get the exhaust?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
BlackMetal 2004TJ said:
i also have about $300 to spend i was thinking of getting a cat back exhaust, does anyone suggest getting an intake for a better sound to compliment the exhaust or should i just get the exhaust?
I have a trail jammer intake and a magna flow cat back.
The trail jammer sounds really good
The magna flow didn't add to much sound its just a deeper soubd

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're looking for performance, no it's not worth it. Spend the money on something else. The only thing I'd recommend as far as intake is a K&N filter.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
Use your $250 and get a lunchbox locker for the front if you want a bang-for-the-buck upgrade.
That right there. :punk:

Don't waste your hard-earned $$$ on one of those over-hyped air intake kits TJrunner, they aren't worth it. I bought my second TJ used and it came with some kind of a RamAir or similar system. I sold the RamAir and installed the factory air box due to its far better air filtration abilities and there was ZERO performance difference afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts