Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a portable Co2 tank? If so, how do you like it? Does it work well? How long will a tank last? Is it fast?

I've looked at the charts on the websites and they give some stats on air up times and volume I'm just wondering how accurate they are?

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/categories/82_400_208.html

I have an ARB portable air compressor right now and I'm kicking around the idea of a Co2 tank. I'm not ready to jump off the ledge and get a OBA yet. I figure this would last awhile then I could sell it to one of you suckers :D here on WF. *snicker*

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Anyone using a portable Co2 tank? If so, how do you like it? Does it work well? How long will a tank last? Is it fast?

I've looked at the charts on the websites and they give some stats on air up times and volume I'm just wondering how accurate they are?

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/categories/82_400_208.html

I have an ARB portable air compressor right now and I'm kicking around the idea of a Co2 tank. I'm not ready to jump off the ledge and get a OBA yet. I figure this would last awhile then I could sell it to one of you suckers :D here on WF. *snicker*
Haven't used a Co2 tank before but I know a guy that built on-board air with a portable air compressor tank and limiter switch, hooked to a converted A/C compressor on the engine (as the air pump). Worked pretty good and was fast. He also had a quick disconnect mounted on the bumper next to his winch.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
I absolutely love my CO2 tank! It fills my tires (35x12.50x15) from 10 pounds to 28 in about 40-50 seconds. It lasts about a full season (probably 40-50 tires) and only cost me $10 to get fillied. Also works pretty good for air tools in a pinch, and will reseat beads if you lose one on the trail.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I absolutely love my CO2 tank! It fills my tires (35x12.50x15) from 10 pounds to 28 in about 40-50 seconds. It lasts about a full season (probably 40-50 tires) and only cost me $10 to get fillied. Also works pretty good for air tools in a pinch, and will reseat beads if you lose one on the trail.

Thanks that's exactly the info I was looking for. I might just have to put that Co2 tank on my short list.

BTW - Where do you have yours mounted and what brand and size tank are you running?

Kat- Of course you have OBA. You guys practically have a Quadratec catalogue sitting in your driveway. :flipoff:

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't used a Co2 tank before but I know a guy that built on-board air with a portable air compressor tank and limiter switch, hooked to a converted A/C compressor on the engine (as the air pump). Worked pretty good and was fast. He also had a quick disconnect mounted on the bumper next to his winch.

Sounds like a good setup but it also sounds like that may require some work. Hopefully I can get a portable tank for the short term then go with a full OBA system in the future. The little portable ARB just isn't cutting it anymore.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Kat- Of course you have OBA. You guys practically have a Quadratec catalogue sitting in your driveway. :flipoff:
not really :eek:
but I have a lot of things cirlcled with the black marker.....just in case Santa is looking :D

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not really :eek:
but I have a lot of things cirlcled with the black marker.....just in case Santa is looking :D
Ha ha, me too! I even folded the corners of the pages for easy access. :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
wait a second, isnt C02 a "wet gas" meaning on contact with things condensation forms (as well as ice in the case of co2)...why do you want that inside your tire?

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait a second, isnt C02 a "wet gas" meaning on contact with things condensation forms (as well as ice in the case of co2)...why do you want that inside your tire?

Ahh hell, you got me on that one. I made a C in science class. :D

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Cobalt is an element that when heated to the right temperature with the correct mixture of other chemicals makes glass blue. Co2 however cannot exist natually because cobalt grabs oxygen molecules and is usually found in nature as Cobalt Oxide. It's also highly poisonous in it's raw form and costs way too much money. :D You really didn't want to know did you?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
hopefully this will anser some questions and you can make your own tank cheaper then buying one already to go unless thats what you want
for me it saves some money for other mods

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/General/LiquidCO2/LiquidCO2.htm

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/inflation_zone_cfh20/index.asp

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/co2/co2-1.htm

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Carbon Dioxide does not form condensation, they actually just had a write-up about it in Four Wheeler magazine this month (very brief 1-2 page article). The ice that forms is because the carbon dioxide freezes the regulator when it "boils" off to from a liquid to a gas, so you get ice on the OUTSIDE of the air line near the tank when filling.

I am using the Ultimate Air 10 pound setup, and I will have the tank attached to the "C" pillar on the roll cage.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I thought C02 was Carbon Dioxide. Did I sleep through this part of Chemistry:confused:
CO(with a small 2) is carbon dioxide. The C is one molecule of Carbon, the O two molecules of oxygen. But Co (small o) is Cobalt. See? Size makes a difference :D

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies and the chemistry lesson. I'll probably get an air tank before Llano this year if funds allow.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've wheeled with a buddy who has a full size Bronco, and he has a CO2 tank. It's a big one (20 or 25 lbs.) and he claims it'll refill about 125 tires or so. I've personally seen it refill 10 tires and about 20 dirt bike tires, still goin' strong. The only drawback is having to pull the coil hose around to the front tires because he has it mounted in the back, inside. It takes about a minute per tire. Haven't seen any drawbacks to it yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts