Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The airbag light is on in my '12 JKUS, and I've been looking around online to see what problems this could create if I were to have an accident. I've found some articles and forum posts (not here) saying that when the light is on, the airbags will not deploy.

Is this true? There are no codes that my OBDII reader can find.

I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer, but if that's the only option to find out, so be it.

Thanks in advance! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had the airbag light come on in an older truck I had. Tuned out the clock spring in steering wheel was broken and no steering wheel controls worked. Had to replace clock spring. Do your steering wheel controls work? If not that could be the issue. If they do work then I don't know.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Most causes of the air bag light activating on a JK is as a result of a faulty clockspring. However, if the air bag light activates there are a number of sensors that can be at fault in the system that can also cause it. If it is the clockspring and you know how to replace it, it shouldn't be a problem. If not, or you're not sure, have the dealer take care of it. When the air bag light activates that indicates a fault in the supplemental restraint system, which is made up of components other than the air bags. It's best to assume that the air bags won't deploy and have the problem diagnosed. The air bags can still deploy when the light is activated depending upon the fault. There is nothing that indicates that when the light is steady on that the air bags will absolutely not deploy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts