Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my tie rod and drag link together about a year ago. When I did that, I also replaced my steering stabilizer. That fixed my death wobble for the most part, until now... I know there is no "real" cure for death wobble, but I'm getting it a little too frequently. I haven't had a chance to get under a torque my bolts yet because I don't have any of my tools here in college. But my question is, can adjustable trac bars "go out"? I got death wobble really badly several times driving around campus (speed limit 20). I feel like that is just a little unusual

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The bushings on the track bars can and do wear out. Check the bushings and also check to see if the bolt holes on the mounting brackets are still in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
The bushings on the track bars can and do wear out. Check the bushings and also check to see if the bolt holes on the mounting brackets are still in good shape.
The track bar is the number 1 cause of standard DW. It's often loose bolts or worn out bushings or the mounts have oval holes from experiencing the DW.

You should pull your track bar and inspect it thoroughly. Put the bolts in the holes on the frame and axle, lots of play? Consider upgrading those to 9/16 Grade 8's too.

JK Grade 8 Trackbar Bolt Upgrade Kit

·
Registered
793 Posts
If the track bar bracket holes have ovaled, you 'll need to fix that. For the frame side, Synergy makes a track bar bracket brace. Not sure if there is such a thing for the axle side. You might need to have some washers welded to the axle bracket to fix those, if they are ovaled.

The idea that there is no cure for death wobble is absolutely false. All death wobble can be fixed. Adding a new SS will only hide it for a while.

If you're only experiencing it at very specific speeds, it could be a tire balance issue. Rotate your tires back to front and see if it is still present.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If the bolt holes are overload out they can be fixed by welding in washers like these ones from RuffStuff.

Fix it Weld Washers, Set of 6 - RuffStuff Specialties

I had this done on the axles side of mine. It helped my wobble but didn't solve it.

The other thing to watch for is worn ball joints. Mine seemed to pass the tests in PlanMan's video, but I replaced them anyway at 40k miles. This did fix the wobble issue. They don't need much play to cause problems.

Mike

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Their are cures for DW or everyone would have it . Look for worn steering components through out the whole front end including control arm bushings , they all add up. Spend some time under the front end with some one turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly between 10 and 2 ( dry steering test ). Put your hand on each connection along with watching for any movement. stick your finger in between the end of the track bar and the mount to see if the ends are allowing movement including sector shaft. I swapped my track bar just because I could see it slightly flex using the dry steer method so I know a pair of 8 ply 35s will cause it too. Every time it has a DW event it will wear good parts rapidly. Steering stabilizers help hide problems like DW but do nothing to fix the actual problem( leave off until DW is eliminated) their is a cure you just have to be determined to find what part or parts are contributing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has all been very helpful! I drove home from college, about a 3 hour drive on I-35, and didn't experience DW, but I did have a ton of shaking coming through my steering wheel that made it hard to stay in my lane! I'll get underneath it this weekend and make sure it's all good before I head back to college. Thank y'all for your help! Keep the wisdom coming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts