Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel is not centered. Is it just a matter of pulling off wheel, rotating it slightly and reinstalling? Or does it fit in only one position? Which means problem is in shaft or gearbox.

·
Registered
802 Posts
adjusting the drag link is pretty easy.......there are some directions here somewhere.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Installed a drop pitman arm this weekend and had to adjust the steering wheel back to center. Adjusting the drag link is the correct way to do it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I disagree, I'd much rather pop the wheel off in two minutes than do that
I adhusted my drag link to recenter my steering wheel after installing a lift.

Took less than 5 minutes........:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am in a YJ. I have no idea which is the drag link? I will have to consult the Hayes manual. Seems to me the wheel is connected to shaft which connected to steering box which is connected to pitman arm. So any easy fix would occur between wheel and steering box?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am in a YJ. I have no idea which is the drag link? I will have to consult the Hayes manual. Seems to me the wheel is connected to shaft which connected to steering box which is connected to pitman arm. So any easy fix would occur between wheel and steering box?
First off you always want to make the correction by adjusting the drag link. The drag link connects to the pitman arm and has wo clamps that must be loosened to adjust it's length. I used a couple of vice grips to rotate the link to increase the length bringing the wheel back to center.

Very easy to do.

·
Registered
450 Posts
On a TJ that is faster but on a YJ popping the wheel is
If the wheel is only off a small amount then you would be fine adjusting the steering wheel. But if you install a lift without a drop pitman arm, then you have to, or should make the correction on the drag link. If you were to just relocate the wheel it will throw off the directionals on the steering column. I drove mine for a couple week before having a 4 wheel alignment done after putting 33s on and the directionals would never turn off after making a turn. It was annoying. The top center of my wheel shifted counterclockwise and was sitting at 9 o'clock after the lift.

I just installed a drop pitman arm (a few months after the 4" lift) and had to shorten the length of the drag link back now that the geometries are are closer to stock.

Just curious...I never owned a TJ...this is my first Jeep (YJ). How's the steering setup different on the TJ? I would think there is still a pitman arm, tie rod and drag link setup.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
If the wheel is only off a small amount then you would be fine adjusting the steering wheel. But if you install a lift without a drop pitman arm, then you have to, or should make the correction on the drag link. If you were to just relocate the wheel it will throw off the directionals on the steering column. I drove mine for a couple week before having a 4 wheel alignment done after putting 33s on and the directionals would never turn off after making a turn. It was annoying. The top center of my wheel shifted counterclockwise and was sitting at 9 o'clock after the lift.

I just installed a drop pitman arm (a few months after the 4" lift) and had to shorten the length of the drag link back now that the geometries are are closer to stock.

Just curious...I never owned a TJ...this is my first Jeep (YJ). How's the steering setup different on the TJ? I would think there is still a pitman arm, tie rod and drag link setup.
I think you had a different problem why your signals weren't working. The reason I say that is is I have jeep columns in my shop that cancel just fine with the wheel on upsidedown, sideways, etc etc. In fact, you can spin the shaft with no wheel on it and get the turn signals to work.

The reason I said its easier to pop the wheel off and recenter it is that most stock drag links are rusted up so bad that you would screw up more stuff messing with it. Either way is fine, I was just pointing out the easiest. The reason a TJ is different is the airbag is in the way of wheel removal and is more time consuming.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think you had a different problem why your signals weren't working. The reason I say that is is I have jeep columns in my shop that cancel just fine with the wheel on upsidedown, sideways, etc etc. In fact, you can spin the shaft with no wheel on it and get the turn signals to work.

The reason I said its easier to pop the wheel off and recenter it is that most stock drag links are rusted up so bad that you would screw up more stuff messing with it. Either way is fine, I was just pointing out the easiest. The reason a TJ is different is the airbag is in the way of wheel removal and is more time consuming.
You're probably right about the steering column and directionals. When I bought my jeep it had the steering column replace with a GM. LONG STORY! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Did you try using a large pipe wrench to turn the drag link? You wouldn't be able to do it by hand even if it was new.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts