Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Bare with me as this is my first post on the forum.

I have a 2DR 2013 JK that I've had for about 2 months. I'm going to be installing a Teraflex 2.5 lift with shocks and front lower flex arms this weekend but have a question about when I'm done. I'm going to get an alignment afterwards, but the alignment shop wants me to bring in the jeep with the stock tires, not my 35 inch rubber on AEV Pintler Beadlocks. Is this normal? To me it doesn't make sense, but I'm new to the Wrangler world.

Any advice or knowledge is appreciated!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've always had mine aligned with the tires and wheels I'm using. Are they going to charge you for two alignments?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would bring it somewhere that specifically does wheel alignments.. I would avoid Firestone, etc.

@Nickelboy yes, you will need an alignment after lift.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They probably want to know what it is before the lift with stock equipment, however you should get alingment specs from the lift company as they usually tell you "about what it should be". If you are lifting more than three inches I would think you would want to do the alignment becasue the castor could very well need correction (depending on the lift). You may however be limited in the amount fo correction and may have to get adjustable lower control arms if things are way out of whack. (probably unlikely with just a 2.5 inch lift).

So making a long story short it really should not be required to do two alignments. You should get the specs from the lift supplier and do it after you have the wheels and tires on.
Some folks don't do an alignment and go by "feel". I preferred to know what the numbers were.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
Don't take it there.

Factory Specs are in their computers.

with 35" tires, you don't want factory toe in.

with a 2.5" lift, you do not want less than factory caster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the alignment shops wants me to install the lift and then bring it in for the alignment, but with my stock wheels. Can they correct and alignment with my stock rims and tires?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Your looking to set the toe more so than anything else

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Actually the alignment shops wants me to install the lift and then bring it in for the alignment, but with my stock wheels. Can they correct and alignment with my stock rims and tires?
Yes. But as mentioned before you don't want to use factory specs for the toe-in if you are running 35s. Usually helpful to increase toe-in to about 1/8".

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They probably want you to bring it in with the stock wheels because they feel that the 35's might be too wide/big for their alignment machine. In any case, I agree with the others, take is someplace else. Any shop that would suggest that you use different tire for an alignment isn't going to do a good job to begin with. The reason you want to get an alignment after you get new tires or suspension is to make sure that that EVERYTHING is aligned correctly as a whole.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
They probably want you to bring it in with the stock wheels because they feel that the 35's might be too wide/big for their alignment machine. In any case, I agree with the others, take is someplace else. Any shop that would suggest that you use different tire for an alignment isn't going to do a good job to begin with. The reason you want to get an alignment after you get new tires or suspension is to make sure that that EVERYTHING is aligned correctly as a whole.
I totally disagree. Example: I lift my vehicle and have an alignment done with stock tires and wheels because I haven't decided on aftermarket tires and wheels. Eventually, I replace the stockers with new tires and rims. An alignment isn't needed after swapping out. We have no clue what kind of work this shop does. If they can do a correct alignment with stock wheels, the OP can swap tire and rims whenever.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I totally disagree. Example: I lift my vehicle and have an alignment done with stock tires and wheels because I haven't decided on aftermarket tires and wheels. Eventually, I replace the stockers with new tires and rims. An alignment isn't needed after swapping out. We have no clue what kind of work this shop does. If they can do a correct alignment with stock wheels, the OP can swap tire and rims whenever.
And, I'm going to totally disagree with you. In theory you should get an alignment done whenever you get new tires in general, but ESPECIALLY if your going UP in tire size. Your changing quite a bit of geometry by simply going up in size and adjusting for that is critical for the drivetrain and tires themselves. Granted, I'll give you that its not as important if your sticking with the same tire dimensions, it should be done, but its not as critical. We can agree to disagree but that won't help the OP or anyone else reading this thread for information.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
And, I'm going to totally disagree with you. In theory you should get an alignment done whenever you get new tires in general, but ESPECIALLY if your going UP in tire size. Your changing quite a bit of geometry by simply going up in size and adjusting for that is critical for the drivetrain and tires themselves. Granted, I'll give you that its not as important if your sticking with the same tire dimensions, it should be done, but its not as critical. We can agree to disagree but that won't help the OP or anyone else reading this thread for information.
You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it fact. Whether you agree or disagree with me doesn't matter either. Bottom line is the OP asked if he could have an alignment done with stock tires and then add 35s. The answer is yes. All he needs to tell the alignment shop is to increase the toe-in a bit to account for the 35s.

End of discussion.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
X2 ^^

Very easy to do yourself. Arms at 23" should put you around 4-5 positive caster.
Toe should not change lifting but will slightly changing caster.
Bigger tires require less caster and I believe less toe in.

So you are looking for 4-5 degrees caster and 1/8-0 toe in.

Steer straight is recentering the steering wheel after any change is made. 15 mm wrench to adjust the drag link sleeve.

Ken

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
All he needs to tell the alignment shop is to increase the toe-in a bit to account for the 35s.

End of discussion.
Great, so you understand that there is an alignment difference between stock and larger tires and a need for an alignment. whoof, I'm glad we got that straightened out.

NOW, End of discussion.

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
with 35" tires, you don't want factory toe in.
you don't want to use factory specs for the toe-in if you are running 35s. Usually helpful to increase toe-in to about 1/8".
That might depend on the specific tire and lift size, and maybe some other factors. With my 35x12.5r17 GY MT/R-K's and 3" lift, factory toe-in worked out better than 1/8" toe-in. I tried it. It wasn't good, so I went back.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
lift size has nothing to do with toe in.

and youre correct yomondo.

while your jk didnt need the typical toe in recommended, 80% of the jks with 35" tall tires need it.

speaking from experience and owning 4 different Jks with 35-37" tall tires

·
Registered
544 Posts
Question on toe in. IIRC, factory spec is 0.10° per side +- 0.03°. So a 1/8" toe in with 34 inch (35) tires would be right in the ball park? Or am I not looking at this the right way?

:confused:

Text Line Font Parallel Triangle

DB

1 - 20 of 41 Posts