Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my '15 JKU (currently has 9K miles on it) with 3" Lift and 35's in January, it was pulling to the right. The stealership agreed to align it for me, but after giving me the run-around when I showed up to get it aligned (first told me that they send out their Jeeps to an independent shop for alignments and that it would take 3 days, I told them just to set the appt for me and I would take it there. After dicking around for an hour, they came back and told me that they would do the alignment in-house...which I found odd since they told me when I bought it that they didn't do lifted Jeeps in-house). So...I decided that if they didn't originally have confidence in their techs to do the alignment, I would just take it and get it done myself. So...that's what I did. Below is the print-out I was given when completed; the tech who did the alignment (the shop specializes in alignments) told me that it was as close as he could get it to what is should be.

However, the Jeep still pulls to the right. While driving, I have to hold the steering wheel at about a 10-15 degree angle to the left to keep the Jeep straight. When I let go - whether on pitched highway or flat parking lot - it pulls to the right (not hard, but does pull pretty quickly to the right).

I know little about alignments, caster, camber, etc....I know there are some knowledgeable peeps on here that can review the below and tell me what the problem may be. The tech mentioned something about changing a part out to "heavy duty"...but his Spanglish wasn't so good....

Any feedback as to the alignment and ways to correct the pull would be appreciated! The top diagram is the "before" pic, the bottom diagram is the "after" pic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looking at your alignment print out, it would seem like they certainly fixed the toe issue, both your front tires were pointing right and have been straightened to head down the road. For Jeeps (especially lifted ones) toe is really the only adjustment alignment shops can make besides centering the steering wheel. The before measurement certainly looks like the Jeep would be pulling right but have you also ruled out lower tire pressure on the right side or a dragging brake caliper which could be contributing to the pull?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at your alignment print out, it would seem like they certainly fixed the toe issue, both your front tires were pointing right and have been straightened to head down the road. For Jeeps (especially lifted ones) toe is really the only adjustment alignment shops can make besides centering the steering wheel. The before measurement certainly looks like the Jeep would be pulling right but have you also ruled out lower tire pressure on the right side or a dragging brake caliper which could be contributing to the pull?
I check my tire pressure regularly (both via Evic and manually) and run them at 32 psi (was at 40 psi when I got it and rode like I was driving a Fred Flintstone car). I also have visually checked the calipers and rotors..no sign of a dragging caliper.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hmmm.... was it lifted when you bought it or did you put it on after you purchased it? You can measure from the outside of the tire to the fender to see if both axles are centered under the body. If the lift didn't come with adjustable track bars the originals can pull the axles to one side or another. I usually think this causes more "death wobble" than a slight pull to the right, but if the alignment printout can be trusted the tires are pointed straight (ish) ahead.

I believe the print out is yours as it at least has your vehicle information on it. I've worked at shops before have a habit of not aligning vehicles that purchase "lifetime" alignment packages. You print out a couple extra sheets from one you did align and cut off the top part with the vehicle information and viola! your techs aren't wasting time on a vehicle that didn't buy an alignment that day. Yes I know they paid more initially and it is a poor moral choice, but those companies don't count those "lifetime" services as evening happening past the first purchase so if you want to make your alignment quota for the day/month/whatever you need volume and paying customers. Plus if it was out of alignment they can always get it done for free again. (Maybe)

Theoretically you can ask for the toe to be adjusted further left to try to counteract the pull to the right, but I would usually not recommend it as it would severely increase tire wear, especially on big knobby tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I check my tire pressure regularly (both via Evic and manually) and run them at 32 psi (was at 40 psi when I got it and rode like I was driving a Fred Flintstone car).

Mine was the opposite when I purchased it, barely 25psi in the tires and it rode like a cloud. I bumped them up to 34/35 for around town after I figured out why it seemed to drag so much after letting off the gas.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Your pull to the right is being influenced by the front caster angles. Lower number is the direction of pull. If you can adjust the front right caster higher, say by at least .5 degrees you should be able to minimize the pull you're getting.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Your pull to the right is being influenced by the front caster angles. Lower number is the direction of pull. If you can adjust the front right caster higher, say by at least .5 degrees you should be able to minimize the pull you're getting.
Its a straight axle you have no adjustment for just one side . adjusting one control arm only puts a preload on your bushings. You don't want to put your control arms in any sort of bind . You want them to move freely . The caster difference on each side is designed that way

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Its a straight axle you have no adjustment for just one side . adjusting one control arm only puts a preload on your bushings. You don't want to put your control arms in any sort of bind . You want them to move freely . The caster difference on each side is designed that way
Then the only way to try and combat the pull is to swap tires around. I found that either rotating tires in a "X" pattern front to rear or simply the front tires side to side can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts