Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to start i have factory control arms and skyjacker camber correction brackets with a teraflex 3" lift adjustable track bar.

Ok the problem i keep having is the alignment does not stay once aligned if i brake really hard it shifts. What i mean is I heard the arms slip and the steering wheel was off at highways speeds after someone thought it was a good idea to pull out in front of me.

The second time this happen I was climbing a tire and when I put pressure on the front tire i heard the suspension slip and the wheel was off again.

So my question is what to do to fix it. I noticed when installing the lift that the axles have places for the oblong washer the I've had on previous model vehicles. Do I need these will this solve the problem and where would I purchase these.

any advise would be appreciated thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Are you sure Skyjacker does brackets? All I can find in a quick Google is cam bolts. I have not heard a single good thing about cam bolts on a JK fwiw. If anything, I would expect sloppy steering.

What does your trackbar mount look like? Are the holes ovalled ? If they are, a new track bar would still move.

Is your draglink tight (that is what centers the steering wheel) and not bent with decent ends?

I am by no means a suspension expert, but these were what I could think of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure Skyjacker does brackets? All I can find in a quick Google is cam bolts. I have not heard a single good thing about cam bolts on a JK fwiw. If anything, I would expect sloppy steering.

What does your trackbar mount look like? Are the holes ovalled ? If they are, a new track bar would still move.

Is your draglink tight (that is what centers the steering wheel) and not bent with decent ends?

I am by no means a suspension expert, but these were what I could think of.
i will check these tomorrow. I did look at these items very closely when installing the lift. the track bar bolts seemed tight in the hole upon installation at 23,000ish miles i now have 29 and some change.

also sorry for the Skyjacker its RANCHO LINK BELOW.

Rancho Control Arm Correction Brackets - RS6250B

THANKS for the reply this will be the third alignment 6,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Ah Rancho makes more sense.

Hopefully some of our suspension experts come along and chime in. I am going to hope it's something simple like the draglink. You still have bumper to bumper warranty 3/36?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If something is shifting, then someone has drilled out, or the control arm mounting holes have become oblong. That would be very weird for any control arm mounts... they don't take that much abuse. This makes me think the geo-brackets are not tightened to spec...

Comparing the Rancho to the AEV brackets, the upper holes that go where the original upper control arm is are oblong (the AEV are round). The AEV also has a slot that the bracket fits around the mount. It is possible that if this upper bolt us not tight, that the whole thing can pivot because the only round hole that is fixed is the replacement lower control arm bolt.

So, it isn't possible for the AEV bracket to move... it IS possible for the Rancho bracket to move. The kind of force needed to do this would be consistent with braking, as that would cause the axle to 'wrap'.

I can't see anything else that would move... drag link and tie-rod can't move like that... they are threaded and then nut-locked... your Jeep would fly off the road if these were loose and stripped.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I also need to add... without adjustable control arms there is very little to align... Your gro-brackets are your camber adjustment... if your camber is changing, then the brackets MUST be loose.

Your steering centre is simple the drag link being adjusted... if your steering is going off... it cannot be the drag link or tie rod unless you are bending it or somehow it wasn't tightened and is slipping... I can't see how this would happen as the first bump you hit your wheels would point different directions and you'd die...

There is really nothing to align on a JK unless you've got adjustable control arms and/or an adjustable track bar.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had the brackets too. Same thing happened to me. Now I have adjustable alpine arms. And a high steer kit bc I have a 4 in lift. My steering wheel is thrown off again at highway speeds too. Nature of the beast. Always fixing something. Just keep readjusting the drag linmk. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had the brackets too. Same thing happened to me. Now I have adjustable alpine arms. And a high steer kit bc I have a 4 in lift. My steering wheel is thrown off again at highway speeds too. Nature of the beast. Always fixing something. Just keep readjusting the drag linmk. You'll be fine.

Having to readjust the steering wheel doesn't seem normal to me. I've had three different JK's and never had the the steering wheel "thrown off" at highway speeds. I've driven multiple trips from Illinois to Colorado and Utah at 75-80mph, wheeled the crap out of my Jeeps and drove home. There is definitely some issue, most likely the drag link is not properly torqued or possibly stripped. I wouldn't call the OP situation "normal" by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
That is definitely not a trait of the brackets or any other component for that matter. You have something moving... In most cases, it's the track bar. But you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb and find it, because the next thing in line is death wobble...

Having to readjust the steering wheel doesn't seem normal to me. I've had three different JK's and never had the the steering wheel "thrown off" at highway speeds. I've driven multiple trips from Illinois to Colorado and Utah at 75-80mph, wheeled the crap out of my Jeeps and drove home. There is definitely some issue, most likely the drag link is not properly torqued or possibly stripped. I wouldn't call the OP situation "normal" by any means.
Completely agree.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I've done everything and even sent it to a shop. No one can find anything wrong with it. This is my luck with vehicles. Lol nothing moves underneath. Everything is tight and still can't get a grip on what's wobbling. Everything is brand new. Driveshafts are Adams 1350. I have alpine adj control arms (all 8). I have a teraflex high steer kit. I have gotten under the vehicle while someone turns the wheel for me... nothing shimmys or slide or moves at all. I've exhausted all avenues. So I've come to terms with it and just deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,237 Posts
Well I've done everything and even sent it to a shop. No one can find anything wrong with it. This is my luck with vehicles. Lol nothing moves underneath. Everything is tight and still can't get a grip on what's wobbling. Everything is brand new. Driveshafts are Adams 1350. I have alpine adj control arms (all 8). I have a teraflex high steer kit. I have gotten under the vehicle while someone turns the wheel for me... nothing shimmys or slide or moves at all. I've exhausted all avenues. So I've come to terms with it and just deal with it.

Something is moving that shouldn't be. The steering should not have to be adjusted that frequently. Whatever is moving will eventually break I suppose - so you will find out exactly what it is at the worst possible moment. Get a second shop to look at it. Make sure it is a shop that specializes in Jeeps.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Something is moving that shouldn't be. The steering should not have to be adjusted that frequently. Whatever is moving will eventually break I suppose - so you will find out exactly what it is at the worst possible moment. Get a second shop to look at it. Make sure it is a shop that specializes in Jeeps.
The shop I sent it to does specialize in jeeps. It's all they do there were like 10 jeeps on the lot. Doing everything from brake changes to welding to frame swaps. And they didn't know. They thought it may have been the high steer kit bc the tie rod and drag link her really loose but I tightened it thought it was fixed and now it's doing it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts