Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i took my jeep into get its wheels aligned, the guy aligned it as best he could but said that he couldnt get it perfect because each time he adjusted the alignment something would move it back out of place, would this be a new traction bar moment? he suggested taking it to a 4X4 shop but seeing as i cant find any trust worthyones in norther illinois i figured id ask the experts here instead :D

heres some smileys drinking beer for incentive:beerdrinking:

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
What was he trying to adjust that kept moving? Unless you have installed adjustable control arms, you only have toe-in that can be adjusted. If that adjustment keeps changing, you need to find out why before driving it further.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am EXTREMELY FAR from an expert. However...
Early in January I took my '01 Wrangler to Thom's Four Wheel at 4118 - 4120 N. Pulaski, Chicago, 60641. Along with other front end suspensions issues and steering issues I had them do an alignment, around $110.

The reason I was there is that I had a Death Wobble incident on January 1st. After researching my issue on this forum for several days, I learned a lot about my front suspension, steering and possible causes for the DW. Also did several of my own inspections. Research this forum for Dry Steering Test. Some GREAT info on what to look for and diagrams included.

I also researched Thom's FW online for customer reviews. Many were mixed. Some people were very upset with their service, claiming they were cheated, extorted, etc. However, if you read closely, most of those people appeared to know very little about their vehicles and NONE of them were Jeep owners. All Jeep owners had good reviews for Thom's FW. I attributed this to my own research and how many of us truly research our issues before blindly taking our "baby" to a stranger for diagnosis.
There is a reason I tell you this...
If you go to Thom's, get yourself INFORMED.
I went in and presented myself as an uninformed customer. Within an hour I had an estimate close to $2000! Then I requested to view what they were referring to as "needing" replacement. Since I had done a lot of research here, and had PICTURES to show them that I knew what I was taking about, I was able to reduce the required parts and labor to under $800. Then I insisted to order my own parts and have them do the labor. Of course they yelled at me about warranty. I waived that off. Final bill $570!
This is what I had done:
Steering damper replaced.
Track bar replaced.
Tie rod right replaced.
U Joint axle, replaced.
And... Alignment
No more steering issues, and no more DW. (for now)
With ANY repair there is risk of misdiagnosis. We can learn and know as much (and possibly more) than a general mechanic. The problem for me is having the time, (heated) space, and proper tools to do the job myself.
I sincerely hope this helps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You mean when you walked in and told them you were uninformed, they quoted you $2k... Then you questioned and inspected the quoted work, they lowered the price?

Seems strange to me, and I'm not keen in telling you your business but if I went into an establishment, at the first sign of deception, I would have been out of there. You're not the only guy who've run into crooks, there's plenty in my neck of the woods too. There's no shortage of deceptive merchants and as soon as a trust violation is uncovered, regardless if how minimal, I'd take my hard earned money elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts