Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2014 JKU with 2.5" lift, adjustable lower control arms, stock upper control arms and an aftermarket front driveline. I just had my alignment checked and received the attached report. Looking for feedback on the numbers. Is the caster too high? If so should the lower control arms be shortened? Would one full turn of the ends be appropriate? Any other observations? The tech at the shop said it was fine as the numbers are close from the left side to the right side. Thanks in advance for the feedback (y)
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
If it drives good with no vibes I think you're good. Keep an eye on tire cupping.

Reactions: Rod B

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
6 degrees of caster is a little higher than I would want, but as mentioned, if it drives fine with no vibes I would think you are good. I would look at the pinion angle up front, with that much caster your pinion angle might be a bit extreme. But, as mentioned, if it doesn't vibrate from the pinion angle it is likely fine. If you swapped out the stock drive shaft for an aftermarket double carden driveshaft you may find you have to dial back the caster to get your pinion angle where it needs to be for a vibe free drive. But if the driveshaft is happy at that pinion angle it should be fine. It will vibrate if it isn't happy. Mainly felt at highway speeds as a high pitched vibration / noise.
Also, that is more toe than I expect. Usually it is 0.20 total toe, not 0.30. But again, not a major issue.Toe is easy to adjust. I would take a little toe out.

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
At 2.5" the 6.0 is usually fine. If you like to tinker, yes just shorten the front lowers by 1 full turn. Otherwise she looks good to go. As above, I like .20 as a toe setting but .30 is still within spec. .09 to .10 per side.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! If I shorten my lower control arms to reduce the caster, will that affect the toe measurements or are they completely independent?

·
Super Moderator
16,560 Posts
Thanks guys! If I shorten my lower control arms to reduce the caster, will that affect the toe measurements or are they completely independent?
There is a connection, but one turn on each lower will not have a meaningful effect on toe.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Adding or reducing caster would have minimal impact on toe. And I mean seriously minimal.
But you should reduce both toe and caster based on your alignment sheet. Neither is way out of bounds, but both are a little high. I would be more concerned about the extra toe as that will contribute to increased tire wear. Too much caster will not noticeable impact tire wear.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I also agree on the Toe in. My preference is total Toe-In range of 0.1 to 0.2 and no more then that (better for the tires). When I set my own I set it at 0.05 Left 0.05 Right for a total of 0.1 Total Toe-In.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts