Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ with 33x12.5 and it drives great and tracks straight until I touch the brakes then it wants to go all over the road and is a real pain to keep straight. Any ideas

·
Registered
207 Posts
It could be a few different thing. Generally when a vehicle wanders when braking it could be uneven tire pressure, alignment off, loose steering components. Even a hanging caliper or wheel cylinder.

Does it feel like death wobble when breaking hard and does it wander when braking at any speed?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine does that sort of thing too. The alignment is good, my front end is tight, no DW at any speed. I had the OllllO up to 80 (just once)and the ride was smooth, both calipers and pads were changed out at the same time. But at highway speed only, if I had to slow down quickly it wants to wander a bit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If the rotor was warped then you would feel it pulsating on the brake pedal. Been there done that on a different vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the calipers and rotors are good, you could try and change the brake fluid vis bleeding. Brake fluid gets very, very hot inside the caliper and can deterioriate causing uneven braking. Does it wander at all on acceleration? My 97 had worn cintrol arm bushings, it would wander some on acceleration but was much worse on hard braking.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mine just wanders on braking at highway speeds.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Check your rear brakes as well as your fronts. They can contribute to the wandering issue. A brake hose that is breaking down on the inside can cause it, and a sticking caliper can cause it. Also check for notches worn into the caliper mounting ledges. If new calipers were installed, make sure they were installed on the correct sides. The bleeder valve should be above the hose connection. If all those are ruled out, do a complete brake fluid flush and bleed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has new brake pads all the way around and the alignment is good. Its not DW but it does occur at all speeds when braking to the point you need both hand to keep it straight. And it doesn't happen durning acceleration. As far a miles it has right at 100k. I like the idea of changing out the fluid and bleeding the lines seem like a good place to start. Thanks for all the ideas

·
Registered
639 Posts
sounds like a sticking caliper (or wheel cyl) to me. If one caliper is grabbing at a different rate than the other size it will pull.

Honestly i'd rather be replacing my calipers than tracking down my electric demon right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an issue when I applied the brakes it shot hard right, but I also smelled burning metal. My caliper had locked up. I had to replace the caliper and rotor.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a 2000 TJ with 33x12.5 and it drives great and tracks straight until I touch the brakes then it wants to go all over the road and is a real pain to keep straight. Any ideas

Did you just install the tires?

Air in lines?

Needs brake job?

Possibly needs new calipers?

If the pads are badly worn, sometimes the calipers can over extend and stick.

Wide tires tend to follow the grooves in the road.

J

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like you have a hung up caliper. You can check the rears for a bad seal and gear oil or a bad cylinder, but if the pedal is good you should not have a leak. I would rule out alignment ( tow ) if your not skating other than braking. Does it always start to pull the same direction before you correct the wheel?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Problem was identified today when front right brake locked up due to a bad break line.
What was wrong with the brake line? Was it kinked and only letting fluid pass one way?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts