Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii keep seeing post after post of them in the shop or going back to the shop,what gives? My theory every time a new model or major upgrade comes out,seems to be ghosts making new owners guiena pigs.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 2 cents.....most people that are happy do not post anything and those that are having issues are most likely going to post something on a forum. I wouldn't consider any of the issues to be the norm. I just got mine and a few fasteners were missing but other than that no issues yet (knock on wood).

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Little of column A and a little of column B.

Unless somebody comes up with statistical evidence to the contrary, common sense suggests the opening year of a significant mechanical/electrical redesign is going to have some gremlins that should shake out in the following years.

That said, the design and engineering process is undoubtedly thorough and catches the vast majority of issues. So most folks--even early adopters--have no problems. They just don't log on to post about that.

·
Registered
771 Posts
They wanted a blown V8, didn't happen. So there must be something wrong with the jesus engine. I have observed very little difference between the '12s engine and my 3.8 in my '10. The engine itself is extremely noisy on the outside, but whisper quiet inside. As far as drivability, I think I spent more time in higher RPMs in the '12 on the HWY than my '10, just wasn't as noticeable without exhaust on the 12, unlike my 10. Glad I didn't trade mine in. My dad bought a 2012, that's how I have first hand knowledge of this. I say get a 2011 and be happy with the new interior which is much nicer, and rake them over the coals on the price, get that thing for 5K less than the sticker. Tell them it has an outdated engine they can't sell with '12s sitting on the lot.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
El Gringo said:
They wanted a blown V8, didn't happen. So there must be something wrong with the jesus engine. I have observed very little difference between the '12s engine and my 3.8 in my '10. The engine itself is extremely noisy on the outside, but whisper quiet inside. As far as drivability, I think I spent more time in higher RPMs in the '12 on the HWY than my '10, just wasn't as noticeable without exhaust on the 12, unlike my 10. Glad I didn't trade mine in. My dad bought a 2012, that's how I have first hand knowledge of this. I say get a 2011 and be happy with the new interior which is much nicer, and rake them over the coals on the price, get that thing for 5K less than the sticker. Tell them it has an outdated engine they can't sell with '12s sitting on the lot.
:thumb:

Can't argue with you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am amused at owners of 2007-2011 JKs who berate Pentastar-powered Jeeps. They are consistently the ones who claim to have the most knowledge of the engine and everything that is wrong with it. Some of them claim to be grown-ups, too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am amused at owners of 2007-2011 JKs who berate Pentastar-powered Jeeps. They are consistently the ones who claim to have the most knowledge of the engine and everything that is wrong with it. Some of them claim to be grown-ups, too.
I don't see any berating in this thread, only questions and first hand observations. As with any opinion, you can take it or leave it. To get upset is a waste of time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was not berating, just stating my opinion, and what I observed with the 2012 model, as the OP was talking about. Is it a nice vehicle? absolutely? did they put a new engine in to shut everyone up? yup. New transmission that I would love to have in mine? yup.

481 Posts
Just through 1K miles, no issues. Just through 25 water holes and miles of sand in the Pine Barrens, no issues.

If you are unhappy with a product you will probably tell between 5 and 10 people. If you are happy with a product, most people won't volunteer that information. They only tell you when asked.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
The 2012 was what I expected it to be. I've driven an auto equipped 2012, and while the added power and better transmission are indeed a welcome improvement, i don't feel one iota of remorse or desire to trade mine in. The difference in hard acceleration is definitely noticeable, but in most real world driving situations that I'm faced with, I don't need the extra power.
Again, solid improvement, but it doesn't make every other Jeep before it obsolete.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I'm curious, particularly those who love their 3.8, do you not think Jeep should've gone to the 3.6? And, if so, why?

And, I'm not talking 'yeah, they should've bypassed the 3.6 and gone to a hemi' - I mean left the 3.8 in place.

and, obviously, I have my opinion ... :)

T

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Again, solid improvement, but it doesn't make every other Jeep before it obsolete.
Agreed.

Each subsequent model year should have improvements over the former, otherwise, what's the point? You have to move the model forward or risk it becoming completely obsolete. Doesn't mean the former versions are all of a sudden a bunch of crap. Each one serves its purpose in growing the brand.

If you're an enthusiast, then it probably matters even less, cuz chances are, you've modified you Jeep to your specs, anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
12 Sport, Ive had zero issues. I shouldnt have any, as Im only coming up on 3000mi. That being said, I do have the age old issue of leaky tops. Albeit very minor "drips" but still disheartening.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not berating anything,was stating that new models or major upgrades always seem to have issues not ironed out.Never claimed to know everything! A grown up would be able to read a post and understand its meaning! Now i am truly amused..

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I'm curious, particularly those who love their 3.8, do you not think Jeep should've gone to the 3.6? And, if so, why?

A
I think they should have. The biggest knock against the 3.8 Jeeps from owners and potential owners was its performance. I don't feel it's totally justified, as obviously people looking at V8 powered trucks and SUVs as well as the Jeep were going to find it underpowered, but it's far from the slowest thing on the road. If you read my thread here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/first-time-jeep-owners-what-did-you-drive-before-your-jeep-69892.html
I think you'll find many new Jeep owners came from large trucks, SUVs and even some sports cars. So yeah, the Jeep is going to feel slow in comparison. For me personally, I didn't need more power in my Jeep, it does exactly what I want and need it to do. I've owned many legitimately quick cars, but I didn't expect or want that kind of performance from my Jeep. But, the new engine and transmission (and the new interior starting in 2011) directly address the biggest gripes with the Jeep. Basically, Jeep has addressed the biggest issues with the Wrangler in the eyes of a potential customer (they already have our money), so in that regards, it was definitely the right choice. You simply can't continue putting the same product out year after year with no improvements, and expect it to stay relevant. Even something as iconic as the Wrangler. The informed buyer knows what they're getting with a Jeep, but now you can't honestly feel like you're sacrificing performance.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by spending more time in higher RPMs in your dad's 2012. Unless he has 4.10 gears and 32" tires, I don't know why you would see higher RPMs. I have 3200 miles on mine and my RPMs typically ran about 2500 RPMs at 70 mph with the auto, 4.10 gears, and 32" tires. I wouldn't consider that high. When I changed to 35" tires running the same gears, the RPMs dropped to about 2280 RPMs at 70 mph.

As far as the OP's comment about 2012 issues, I've had what I consider three minor issues that I think I caused, so I'm not blaming Jeep yet.

One issue is with my 730N radio. There have been two occassions when I've tried to turn on my radio after starting up my Jeep and it didn't have power. It may be a loose power connection that I caused when I took my dash apart to install the MyGig Lockpick several weeks ago. When it happens, the radio has no power to turn on and then it magically has power after I start driving for a bit. The reason I know it is a power issue and not something else is because one time I had the headlights on with the dash lights lit up. The radio button lights were not on. When the radio got power again, the radio button lights started working and the radio came on. If it happens again, I'll check my connections. If the connections are fine, I'll contact my dealer.

The second issue was a water leak that soaked my front driver's side and passenger side carpet and floor mats enough that I had standing water under the carpets after a significant thunderstorm. There was no evidence of water anywhere else in the Jeep except the front footwells. I had to lift up the carpet and dry out the area with a fan after I drained out the water. I had the hard top on and the freedom panels were installed correctly. After doing some investigating, I think the rain blew in where I had drilled holes in the front door frames during the installation of my RockHard Sports Cage. I noticed that the door gasket didn't cover the bolts and the bolts were on the outside of the gasket. I've since used clear silicone around the bolts and the holes that the bolts are in. I hope that solves it. I won't know until the next wind driven rain because going through a pressure car wash or using a garden hose doesn't cause any leaking.

The last issue is a shifting issue between first and second gear that wasn't there until after I installed larger tires and reprogrammed the shift points with my ProCal. First gear doesn't rev up enough before shifting into second gear. When the Jeep gets into second gear, I have to give it more gas because the RPMs and torque have dropped enough during the shift to cause the Jeep to be a little sluggish. It could be the reprogrammed shift points or it could be the 35" tires with 4.10 gears.

Even with those issues, I'm loving my 2012. The primary reason I opted for the 2012 instead of a 2011 was the engine and 5 speed auto. I think the 3.8 was a good motor, but the the 4 speed auto sucked.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
2012 Sport automatic with 8k miles. Trading in my Tacoma for the Jeep was the best decision I ever made. I am in the category of an owner you never hear from because the vehicle is working so well.

Every vehicle will have some problems, however minor they may be. The 3 problems I've had are:
1. I brought the Jeep back to the dealer to have the transmission shifter sensitivity adjusted, although I could have lived with it the way it was.
2. I will get a few drips between the removable hard top panels and the doors once in a while, but i do mean few. However, most of the time, I don't get a drop even during heavy rain.
3. The transfer case is difficult to shift. 2H - 4H isn't bad, however N - 4L is a pain.

With these issues stated, I can't think of any other "problems" or complaints. My prediction is that I'll get 200k miles out of this Jeep with nothing more than basic maintenance and common sense.

·
Registered
771 Posts
bo9roadking said:
I'm not sure what you mean by spending more time in higher RPMs in your dad's 2012. Unless he has 4.10 gears and 32" tires, I don't know why you would see higher RPMs. I have 3200 miles on mine and my RPMs typically ran about 2500 RPMs at 70 mph with the auto, 4.10 gears, and 32" tires. I wouldn't consider that high. When I changed to 35" tires running the same gears, the RPMs dropped to about 2280 RPMs at 70 mph.
It doesn't have 4.10s, what I'm referring to is that it would go to about 3100-3500 during hwy driving and stay there for a while and then drop down. Where in my Jeep, it remains about 1900 on the hwy at 70. Then while accelerating it will go to 2900-3100 for a short time then kinda goes half way in between 3rd and OD at ~2500 then back to 1900. Not a complaint, just an observation. It is a fine vehicle and it advances the line, like other have said. So I'm not saying it didn't need to get a new drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts