Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I think I've decided on the AEV 2.5 DualSport XT w/ geometry correction brackets and pro cal module for our 2012 Rubicon JKU. I've read tons of threads and most seem to agree that AEV makes the best on-road handling lift kits you can buy. Thats important to me since the Jeep is my wife's DD and we have to drive it on the highway frequently.

Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear opinions of the AEV 2.5. How does it ride off road compared to stock? Is the ride a lot stiffer so that I'm going to have to drive real slow on the trails compared to stock? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 2008 2 door Sahara with the AEV 2.5 with brackets, it rides great and works excellent off road. I just returned from a weekend trip to Moab and ran Hells Revenge, Fins and Things and Poison Spider with zero issues. I am running 285/70/17's and the kit was easy to install. I would recommend this kit to anyone who wants a great ride and great off road capabilities.

·
Registered
197 Posts
IMO, it rides like stock, maybe just a bit stiffer with the Bilsteins. I still really like it. I was prepared to lose some ride quality when I installed this kit but it just didn't happen. The lift itself is easy to install, but the geometry correction brackets weren't fun at all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the 2.5 inch AEV lift with 35's I think it rides just as nice as stock. It's different feeling maybe even better then stock. It's tighter but not in a bad way. It feels more stable in the corners. I really like the ride, people are shocked when they ride in it. It has been great off-road also.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The brackets were pretty easy to install, I can't think of anything that would have made it difficult. I also upgraded my bolts while I was installing the lift.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The brackets were pretty easy to install, I can't think of anything that would have made it difficult. I also upgraded my bolts while I was installing the lift.
I was considering doing that too. Someone said its "cheap insurance against death wobble" though I'm not sure why. What bolt kit did you use?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What was hard about the geometry brackets? Getting the CA bolt holes lined up again?
The instructions could be a bit better. Once I figured out one side the other was a breeze. I also made a run to Lowe's to replace the supplied hardware because I couldn't get it to torque. Once I had new grade 8 bolts in there they torqued fine.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was considering doing that too. Someone said its "cheap insurance against death wobble" though I'm not sure why. What bolt kit did you use?
read many teviews here and in the aev forum. Is a great kit. I have it in our two Jks now for 6 months. Highly recommend to add a front adjustable bar such as the teraflex to eliminate any dead wobble or any issue when doing overlanding. But best protection against death wobble is proper torque settings on the front bar and check it every 5k miles when you rotate tires

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The instructions could be a bit better. Once I figured out one side the other was a breeze. I also made a run to Lowe's to replace the supplied hardware because I couldn't get it to torque. Once I had new grade 8 bolts in there they torqued fine.
Ah thats good to know. I will probably do the same especially if I get the bolt kit. They might as well all be SAE when its done with so I'm not switching back and forth between SAE and Metric everytime I get under there to torque things down.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Hi Everyone. I think I've decided on the AEV 2.5 DualSport XT w/ geometry correction brackets and pro cal module for our 2012 Rubicon JKU. I've read tons of threads and most seem to agree that AEV makes the best on-road handling lift kits you can buy. Thats important to me since the Jeep is my wife's DD and we have to drive it on the highway frequently.

Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to hear opinions of the AEV 2.5. How does it ride off road compared to stock? Is the ride a lot stiffer so that I'm going to have to drive real slow on the trails compared to stock? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.
It is not slightly stiffer than stock. Unless you load the Jeep down with bumpers and a winch then expect a much stiffer ride.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Torqued properly stock bolts are fine. I have done the bolt kit before because I thought it was necessary. I didn't do it with my MC lift and everything has been fine.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I've had the AEV 2.5" lift with geo correction brackets on my 2014 JKUR for over a year. IMO, it rides better than stock. This is my DD with only a couple off-road trips per month (with most of these on trails and FR's). I think both the on and off-road ride/drive is improved.

I agree with @Lujosalgo about upgrading the front track bar. The TF and JKS (this is the one I have) are both great choices. The Superlift gets good reviews in this forum and is about half the price.

Wrangler JK Adjustable Track Bar | Wrangler Trackbar | JK Track Bar
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72e18
2007-2015 JEEP WRANGLER JK (INCLUDING RUBICON) Reflex Adjustable Front Track Bar | Superlift

I've read the TF is the easiest to adjust but I didn't have any issues with the jam nut on the JKS. Not sure about the Superlift but it looks like a jam nut.

I also made one modification to the lift kit. The AEV 2.5" reuses the front sway bar links by having you install a brace that attaches on the axle. The OEM sway bar links are very short and with the supplied brace, the bushings can get some weird/extreme angles. In addition, this lift kit does not include any upgrade for the rear sway bar links. Sort of killing two birds with one stone, I upgraded the rear links with a "Rough Country link for 2.5" lift"

http://www.morris4x4center.com/rough-country-rear-sway-bar-endlinks-for-2-5-lifts-rc-1134.html

and then moved the OEM rear links to the front (eliminating the brace altogether). I have a Rubicon and my off-road is mostly trails and FR's so I didn't need a disconnecting front sway bar link. However, you can also eliminate the brace by using a longer disconnecting sway bar link made for 2.5" lifts. The disconnecting link option is more expensive (roughly $170 vs. the $25 for the Rough Country swap).

Regarding your question on lining up the CA bolts, it helps if you block the front tire before removing any bolts. This keeps the axle from slipping forward after the bolts are removed. You will probably still need to do a little aligning but it is fairly easy by just pushing on the tire a little.

Just to state the obvious, the tires (type and size) are going to have a large effect on the ride/drive of your rig as well.

Hope this helps ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is not slightly stiffer than stock. Unless you load the Jeep down with bumpers and a winch then expect a much stiffer ride.
Crap. I was really hoping for something that would ride smoother off road. More like my Raptor and less like a 1 Ton truck.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Crap. I was really hoping for something that would ride smoother off road. More like my Raptor and less like a 1 Ton truck.
your biggest improvement will be running with the sway bar disconnected and aired down tires. It will always ride more like a 1ton truck versus your raptor as it has more in common with the superduty suspension wise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
your biggest improvement will be running with the sway bar disconnected and aired down tires. It will always ride more like a 1ton truck versus your raptor as it has more in common with the superduty suspension wise.
Because of the solid front axle?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
People stating something "Rides Better or Worse" is a little like asking someone which ice cream tastes better or what cut of steak is best.....it is a subjective opinion if it isn't backed by some kind of objective measurement.
Before anyone says, "Well most people say....." Just watch a video of penguins jumping off an iceberg. That's how much "what most people say" matters.
AEV lifts are quality, well engineered products. A great way to test that is, drive to an AEV authorized dealer and drive one.

They drive great (IMO) Now, I have to get my tuxedo cleaned and go jump off an iceberg. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had the AEV 2.5" lift with geo correction brackets on my 2014 JKUR for over a year. IMO, it rides better than stock. This is my DD with only a couple off-road trips per month (with most of these on trails and FR's). I think both the on and off-road ride/drive is improved.

I agree with @Lujosalgo about upgrading the front track bar. The TF and JKS (this is the one I have) are both great choices. The Superlift gets good reviews in this forum and is about half the price.

Wrangler JK Adjustable Track Bar | Wrangler Trackbar | JK Track Bar
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72e18
2007-2015 JEEP WRANGLER JK (INCLUDING RUBICON) Reflex Adjustable Front Track Bar | Superlift

I've read the TF is the easiest to adjust but I didn't have any issues with the jam nut on the JKS. Not sure about the Superlift but it looks like a jam nut.

I also made one modification to the lift kit. The AEV 2.5" reuses the front sway bar links by having you install a brace that attaches on the axle. The OEM sway bar links are very short and with the supplied brace, the bushings can get some weird/extreme angles. In addition, this lift kit does not include any upgrade for the rear sway bar links. Sort of killing two birds with one stone, I upgraded the rear links with a "Rough Country link for 2.5" lift"

Rough Country Rear Sway Bar Endlinks for 2.5" Lifts - RC-1134

and then moved the OEM rear links to the front (eliminating the brace altogether). I have a Rubicon and my off-road is mostly trails and FR's so I didn't need a disconnecting front sway bar link. However, you can also eliminate the brace by using a longer disconnecting sway bar link made for 2.5" lifts. The disconnecting link option is more expensive (roughly $170 vs. the $25 for the Rough Country swap).

Regarding your question on lining up the CA bolts, it helps if you block the front tire before removing any bolts. This keeps the axle from slipping forward after the bolts are removed. You will probably still need to do a little aligning but it is fairly easy by just pushing on the tire a little.

Just to state the obvious, the tires (type and size) are going to have a large effect on the ride/drive of your rig as well.

Hope this helps ....
Thank you.. this is exactly what I need to include when I order my AEV kit. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Thank you.. this is exactly what I need to include when I order my AEV kit. :drinks:
I had a lot of help from @Pressurized and input from @kjeeper10 in putting this lift together. Just trying to pass-on what I learned and glad to hear it helps another forum member.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts