Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got it some jacka** put a vinyl camo wrap on ALL of the jeep and I found out on my way home from going up the mtn he must have been trying to roast the 32s with a 4cyl cause I shattered the spider gears and cracked the carrier so bad I had to use a steering wheel puller to get it out of the case

I spent 4 agonizing days at pull a part ( due to lack of tools and know how) getting the carrier and gears out

I got my rear put back together ( first for me ) and then spent 2 hours peeling the vinyl off I got a small nick in my ring gear and got a annoying tick sound but it drives like a champ again

I need to regear it and am on a budget I was wondering if any one could tell me what I could scavenge in a junkyard to get lower gears I'm a stock 4.10 front and a 4.11 rear not sure what axle it is in front but def a Dana 35 rear

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and one other question my buddy has a 99 zj 5.9 he is always upgrading some part so was wondering if anything he has could be used on mine

I read some place that the tie rods are a easy no fuss swap and are tougher is it true? And is there anything else I can convince him to replace to get some free upgrades?

And yes I already tried to get him to replace is prefect motor no go lol it would be wicked though

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dana 30 in front. Since you're like the rest of us and like to go "window shopping" at the Pick and Pull, watch for a high pinion Dana 30 in a 4 cyl Cherokee. It will have the 4.10 gears (even if you go to 4.56 you can use the carrier) and its a lot stronger than its low mounted pinion sister.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also watch Craig's List for lower gears, they pop up from time to time at fair prices. 4.56 or 4.88 will help you tremendously

·
Registered
90 Posts
I feel your pain on the vinyl wrap, my was real tree when I got it. Mine took a couple days to get it all off, I think it had been on there for over 5 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking on cl no luck yet and my wrap was mossy oak a 1ft square repeating patern it looked good but only from 20 or 30 feet away and I lucked out it was almost 100 degrees out so it came off easier I still have a few spots to get cause I have to take the spare tire carrier off and the mirrors

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
4.56 would be a good regear for 32s, I think 4.88s would be too much since that's what I'm running on my current 35s. Looks much better without the vinyl as well and as for being hard on it, it's possible but doesn't mean it's for sure. The d35 is weak and can explode with 32's without being hard on it. Oh, and as stated, youve got a d30 front axle

When I upgraded my axles I got a ford 8.8 rear and front chromoly shafts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts