Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed an Alpine 9883 radio in my Wrangler. The tuner portion - including tuning to XM radio works great. My problems is that the CDs play with absolutely no bass.

Anyone have experience with this radio? Is it a setting, defective or just a lousy CD player?

·
Registered
671 Posts
with alpine headunits for each of the different sources I believe you can set your EQ (bass/treble) individually. If you cant figure it out from reading the book (no book download it from alipine-usa.com) just re-set it by using a pen and pushing the re-set button. I'm assuming that by 'bass' you mean not as loud as your other sources or it sounds 'tinny'

·
Registered
541 Posts
Alpine radios have individual controls for all the sources. (Tiburon was right) You have to set the bass for the cd. Aftermarket radios usually don't have the "bass" that factoy radio have. They act as a better filter to get rid of all the garbage (noise) in the music. I used to sell stereos and Alpine is the only one for me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Alpine radios have individual controls for all the sources. (Tiburon was right) You have to set the bass for the cd. Aftermarket radios usually don't have the "bass" that factoy radio have. They act as a better filter to get rid of all the garbage (noise) in the music. I used to sell stereos and Alpine is the only one for me.

++

fix your individual settings

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
++

fix your individual settings
++

Also, check your media expander/bass boost settings. If you've set them for XM and your local stations, you'll still need to do it for the CD.

I set media expander mode 3 for CD, XM, and my iPod.

My bass is set to 3 and treble is set to 3. Subwoofer set to 3 or 5 as needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bass on the CD is cranked up to 7 (highest) setting but the CD still sounds very tinny. The radio, however, sounds fine. With the radio I can "feel" the bass coming from the stock subwoofer (no seperate subwoofer output or amp). With the CD a feel/hear nothing.

Even after doing a reset to factory defaults there is solid bass on the radio and nothing on the CD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Played around some more

and it seems the subwoofer is doing nothing while in CD mode.

I'm not sure how the subwoofer is connected. I believe it is feeding off the left or right channel as there is no separate subwoofer wiring in the standard harness.

Can't figure out why the subwoofer would work fine in radio mode but go silent in CD mode.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You using stock wiring for the Alpine or are you using the wiring harness that came with it or are you amped?

I use RCA preouts for my front/rear/sub and it works flawlessly.

It still sounds like your media expander isn't quite set for your CD. My CD's sounded crisper than the radio too, but I expect it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No amp.

Took out the stock radio. Got a wiring harness that connected into the stock harness and soldered to the Alpine harness.

Not quite sure what you mean by "media expander". Thats not a phrase used in the manual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know about you but a good amount of bass in my jeep with the top down sounds horriable so i turn it off anyway. I think you might want to get the unit checked out.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My bad... I was entering 9833 not 9883. :)

Have you tried the loudness? If that doesn't work, then you probably have an issue with the CD portion of the stereo, as camarors91 said.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. Looks like I'll need to take it by a dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
ok ok i think i know it.. is there an amplifier to feed the stock subwoofer? I'm 99% sure there is one since it has subwoofer (that 1% is the dought that i cant check it for my self) !!! I believe the power wire in the harness is wired to the power antena.. when he shuts the radio off and turns on the cd, the power antena signal the cd player sends automatically shuts off and shuts off the sub amp.. Check your wiring and your power antena cable on the alpine should be connected to a cable i believe called "power" on the harness.. If your power antena cable on your radio is connected somewhere.. disconnect it and connect the "remote amp" cable to the wire the "power antena" used to be connected.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I belive you are right. I would check the factory harness. There should be a wire that is not connected to a wire on your Alpine harness. Check it with your volt meter. power this with the blue wire on your radio(remote amp wire) and you should be golden. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the concept and will check to see if there is an amp and whether it powers down on CD.

However, from the receiver there is power antenna wire, but since I don't have a power antenna, its not connected to anything.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
hmm did you connect the remote amp to anything?

Check in your alpine book.. you might manually need to turn on the subwoofer like i did on my pioneer.. i'm still thinking you have the high pass filter turned on though. usually named HPF or just HP. It should be off. If its on and you cant figure out how to turn it off turn it down as low as possible.. mine goes down to 50 Hz

Search your alpine manual for high pass filter (HPF/HP)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts