Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this small power pack/amplifier is a yellow +12V power lead. In-line on this input is a small, black molded plastic box that contains what appears to be a coil and an empty fuse slot labeled for a 5A fuse.

1. Can anybody identify this part and its function?

2. Should this "box" be left in place when connecting directly to battery?

The amplifier is fused with 15A (in unit), and will have a 30A fuse (at battery), so I don't understand the empty 5A fuse holder in the "box". There is continuity through this box (apprx. 2 ohms) without a fuse installed. Color me confused.

I have read everything I could find about this amp, including the instructions and wiring diagrams, but nowhere is this box mentioned. It does appear in pictures of the product. Am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

-John-

·
Registered
499 Posts
I called crutchfield asking the same thing and they said it was a power conditioner. I left it on there, I highly doubt it's necessary though. I would be interested in what alpine has to say.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't gotten through to Alpine Customer Support (tech support is only for dealers - they say to go to dealer for tech help, I bought through Amazon).

I assumed it was for noise suppression or power modulation. I'll post up when I get an answer, even though it will probably get installed first.

Thanks for your responses.

-John-

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Alpine tech support:

The box contains noise suppression hardware (as we suspected). I called after installing the amp today (why call first, right?). I wired +12V directly from the battery, so I left the box alone as it might not be necessary, but certainly won't hurt anything.

This little amp is amazing; wish I'd put it in sooner. I was able to install without splicing into any factory wiring or harnesses. Not sure we need yet another write-up as others have already done a great job with this, but I do have pictures and info. I also have spare wiring pins if anybody needs one - the metra 70-6522 harness needs 1 pin/wire moved and an additional pin and wire installed, these will be the CANBUS+ and CANBUS-.
I'm not sure every install needs these, or if it's because I have uConnect.

-John-

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Yes, noise interference is a big concern when amplifying an audio system. Noise that you didn't hear at first, may be extremely noticeable and irritating once you amplify it. Remember, everything will be amplified, not only the signal, but also any noise in the signal. Alternator noise can be a big noise contributor to the signal. If it is a noise suppressor, I would hold on it. You may find that you need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts