Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order a new JK (2DR)
Lost my last Jeep in the Divorce.

Is there something I'm missing or would it be best to get the factory option?

Thoughts?

For $995 you can get the factory option:
The nine-speaker Alpine Premium Sound System creates a realistic sound stage by utilizing a high-powered eight-channel 552-watt amplifier, an eight-inch all-weather subwoofer, two tweeters and four 6.5-inch speakers two located in the overhead sound bar. Alpine is known for offering outstanding tonal balance and definition.

For $1299 you can get the Aftermarket option Also it says it's for a JKU
Alpine | Jeep Wrangler Audio: Full Premium Sound System – PSS-21WRA

Premium sound quality with your JKU’s top off is now possible! The PSS-21WRA is a dedicated 320 watt 9-speaker sound system with front and sound bar speakers, a subwoofer and amplifier for the 2015-2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, providing excellent sound performance with the top on or off.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you'll be sticking with the Jeep OEM head unit, that will be the limiting factor in how good things sound with 9 speaker Alpine upgraded system...it will sound much better if you use an aftermarket head unit with some tuning ability. Mine has the 430N navi unit, and the factory EQ settings are pretty jacked up no matter how you set them. I mostly use iPod as a source and have found an EQ app that provides a good work around to make music sound drastically better with the upgraded Alpine system (at least from "Aux"). The 9 speaker Alpine system offers good value "out of the box" if you don't intend to replace speakers and factory subwoofer down the road, even better performance if you can justify upgrading the radio for a good quality aftermarket replacement.

If you'll be going full aftermarket, that PSS-21WRA upgrade will be pretty weak compared to a carefully chosen aftermarket system from the best of what is available, and I'd probably suggest a different route, one that will probably cost you more in the end but perform much better.

Go test drive the upgraded Alpine system, see if you like it. This is the app I use:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/denon-audio/id520604518?mt=8

I had to cut some frequencies in the midrange region, with a boost in the upper frequencies to get something that sounds natural from the 430N.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do plan on replacing the head unit with an aftermarket Alpine or Pioneer Head unit.

I'm thinking that the Alpine speaker system would be enough and cost effective ordering from the factory.

Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I do plan on replacing the head unit with an aftermarket Alpine or Pioneer Head unit.

I'm thinking that the Alpine speaker system would be enough and cost effective ordering from the factory.

Maybe I'm missing something.
You'll probably find that a decent double-DIN from the likes of Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer will get the Alpine upgraded system sounding pretty darn good for an otherwise stock system :thumb:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new here but while I was doing hours/days/weeks of pre-order research I read another post on here somewhere that the consensus for several members was "order them! You won't regret it!" So I did! I will be replacing the head unit at some point but only after some research. Which I have time to do because I just ordered my Jeep on 5/30/17.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
A pre-production "audio geek" video from the fellow who designed everything but the radio in the 9 speaker Alpine system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25jj_zzINQ

Jim Walter is well-known in the audio world and worked hard on bringing what we've gotten as a premium system in the Wrangler since '15 to market. I suspect FCA cut him off at the knees when it came to using an off the shelf radio for the system without extra processing unique to the Wrangler, otherwise we would have had an even better sounding stock premium system ;).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
order the alpine system w/out the 430. its outdated. Its a great sound system. Alpine is coming out w/ a wireless touchscreen radio $700 that is both apple and android friendly.
^^ this

(and they have a whole bunch of Wrangler "restyle" units that are top shelf, should your wallet get past the sticker shock)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Admittedly, I'm an "old guy", so my sense of audio performance is dated, but I actually like the sound of the Alpine upgraded system, even with the factory 430N. I've run self-installed aftermarket systems in other vehicles, but I really don't feel the need to do it in the Jeep. To be honest, the Sirius could sound better, but CD's or music streamed from my S7 Edge sounds really good to me.

My biggest problem right now with going aftermarket is the nightmarish looks of adaptor plates to fill the radio space and I simply cannot spend the amount of money to go with the Alpine Restyle stuff, although I think it looks and sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Admittedly, I'm an "old guy", so my sense of audio performance is dated, but I actually like the sound of the Alpine upgraded system, even with the factory 430N. I've run self-installed aftermarket systems in other vehicles, but I really don't feel the need to do it in the Jeep. To be honest, the Sirius could sound better, but CD's or music streamed from my S7 Edge sounds really good to me.

My biggest problem right now with going aftermarket is the nightmarish looks of adaptor plates to fill the radio space and I simply cannot spend the amount of money to go with the Alpine Restyle stuff, although I think it looks and sounds fantastic.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/2016-wrangler-audio-upgrade-1924618.html

^^ I like what this member did to the dash kit to make his aftermarket double-DIN look more intergrated

·
Registered
336 Posts
The biggest issue I have with the Alpine system is the EQ. The speakers are great, but you cannot adjust the range properly. The system wants to overpower the subwoofer and some songs are basically unlistenable in my opinion. Certain songs or even entire albums sound great though. I've ended up with songs I listen to in each of my cars. Overall I'm happy with the system, but I'll look into different EQ options.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have been test driving a bunch of WRU's over the last several weeks looking for my first jeep (this is my first post) - I can honestly say that the Alpine system sounds great with a 430N - does it sound as great if I put in something aftermarket with a separate amp and sub, nice head unit , upgraded speakers - no. But if you are not a stereo enthusiasts then the Alpine system is good enough. Is it worth $995 - probably not on the surface - but if you are not interested in upgrading the speakers after market yourself then its going to be great for you. If you want to upgrade the speakers yourself - then you can save yourself some money. The 430n on the same topic is not worth $1200 - there are better options for less money out there. You are going to be hard pressed to find one on the lot with the 130 radio and Alpine system - all jeeps I test drove that had the Alpine system had the 430n. So if you order one - then I would suggest getting the stock 130 and upgrading aftermarket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is this the iLX-107 system, or something totally new?
Alpine - 7" - Android Auto/Apple CarPlay™ - Built-in Bluetooth - In-Dash Digital Media Receiver - Black
Model: ILX-207SKU: 574680..chexk out BEST BUY Website. I dont think its avail yet. Should be this summer..Fit is perfect from what ive read. Alpine system is awesome especially for the price

·
Registered
58 Posts
^^ this

(and they have a whole bunch of Wrangler "restyle" units that are top shelf, should your wallet get past the sticker shock)
LOL! for 2K they can have it. What the hell does one need a desktop computer in their wrangler!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I got my 2015 JK-WW with the basic audio system and quickly replaced it with:

Head Unit -
Alpine iLX-007 CarPlay

Amp
Alpine MRV-F300 mounted under front driver's seat

Front Speakers
Alpine SPS-610C

Soundbar Speakers
Alpine SPS-610

Subwoofer
Alpine PWE-S8 - mounted behind the front passenger seat.

The Alpine head unit is no longer available, so I'm not sure what the current model number is. I will say that this is the best sounding system I've ever had in a vehicle.

I'd suggest you test drive the Mopar Alpine system and see if it fits your needs, otherwise, buy the base unit and replace everything.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Alpine - 7" - Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - Built-in Bluetooth - In-Dash Digital Media Receiver - Black

Model: ILX-207SKU: 574680..chexk out BEST BUY Website. I dont think its avail yet. Should be this summer..Fit is perfect from what ive read. Alpine system is awesome especially for the price

Thanks for that! Interesting tidbit on the crutchfield site about this unit:

"Customize your truck: If your truck or SUV is equipped with an aftermarket winch, light bar, air compressor, or other electrical accessories, you can control that gear through the iLX-207, too. Just add an optional Alpine KAC-001 external accessory controller to your order."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take one for a test drive, but I'd say:
1. If you are an audiophile, get base and upgrade.
2. If you love tinkering with sound systems, get base and upgrade.
3. If you just don't care about the sound, get base and leave it.
4. If you don't have the $995 for the Alpine, get base and upgrade later.
5. If you enjoy turning up the music and boppin to a good beat, get the Alpine.

I love the Alpine system. Have I heard better? certainly, but putting in the Alpine for $995 takes the sound system from terrible and "must fix now" to waaaaaay lower on the priority list, verging on "I may never touch this thing."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts