Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 JK with the premium alpine speakers and I've noticed a vibrating or rattling noise coming from the speakers in the left side of the dash. I'm not sure if it's both speakers or not, hard to isolate.

It's really noticeable on phone calls, the beeps the system makes when pressing the phone button, and when listening to talk radio. I'm not sure if the actual speakers are cracked/blown, or if it is just the plastic vibrating in the dash.

Any suggestions on what to do or how to fix? I'm not sure if it is noticeable enough to take to the dealer or not, but it's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Id start by taking them out and installing window stripping around the hole and remount.

The tacky window (weather) stripping is cheap, removable and sort of rubber/foam.

Maybe even do one at a time to help isolate.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Any suggestions on what to do or how to fix? I'm not sure if it is noticeable enough to take to the dealer or not, but it's driving me nuts.
Download a tone generator app to your phone. This will allow you to generate specific frequencies and play them over the stereo. Start around 50 hz or so and start working your way up (50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 250, 300, etc) until the rattle occurs. Now that you can steadily reproduce the rattle, it's now just a game of finding what's rattling and coming up with a way to stop it.

One word of warning. The above is going to shed light on a LOT of rattles you never knew you had. There's nothing quite like sitting on a single frequency to make rattles present themselves. Most of these will never rear their head when actually listening to music however.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Stop listening to Rap music.
Two things:
1. Rap music is not the only music that will bust a speaker. Music is music, enjoy what makes your ears happy.

2. I play rap/hip hop among a number of other types of music and I have the alpine upgrade. Zero rattling. The only rattling I get is if something is in the cargo area and the bass vibrates the item. Otherwise, no rattling.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The Alpine system is good but it is "teenager heavy" on the bass. I play the bass and had to adjust its output quite a bit. Bass is part of the rhythm section along with the drums. It was never intended to be the focus of a song or to drown out the other instruments. Instead it is the glue that holds the song together and without it the song would sound tinny and empty. I prefer to listen to music and it was intended to be heard but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And in that regard I question whether rap is even music. Am I being politically correct? I couldn't give a rat's ass. The most obnoxious thing is to have someone behind or in front of you at a light and have to listen to the cacophony of heavy bass. It makes an adult bassist cringe. Go ahead and flame, 'couldn't care less - I am too old to care. I expect the PC Police at my door within minutes.

Yeah if anything will make your Alpine go bonkers its artificially high bass. Music is not music. Noise is noise.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Alpine system is good but it is "teenager heavy" on the bass. I play the bass and had to adjust its output quite a bit. Bass is part of the rhythm section along with the drums. It was never intended to be the focus of a song or to drown out the other instruments. Instead it is the glue that holds the song together and without it the song would sound tinny and empty. I prefer to listen to music and it was intended to be heard but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And in that regard I question whether rap is even music. Am I being politically correct? I couldn't give a rat's ass. The most obnoxious thing is to have someone behind or in front of you at a light and have to listen to the cacophony of heavy bass. It makes an adult bassist cringe. Go ahead and flame, 'couldn't care less - I am too old to care. I expect the PC Police at my door within minutes.

Yeah if anything will make your Alpine go bonkers its artificially high bass. Music is not music. Noise is noise.
What a narrow minded view. I could argue that a guitar was never intended to be amplified/distorted and be the focus of a song. I'm an adult in my 40's that plays both guitar and bass and I don't find the heavy bass in rap/pop obnoxious. I don't listen to either; but, just because it's not my cup of tea, doesn't mean it's not a form of music that others shouldn't enjoy. And, said musics' heavy bass IS how it is intended to be heard.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id start by taking them out and installing window stripping around the hole and remount.

The tacky window (weather) stripping is cheap, removable and sort of rubber/foam.

Maybe even do one at a time to help isolate.
Is there a walk through anywhere that shows you how to do this? Never installed or messed with any car audio in the past.

The damn rattle is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I said specifically I notice the vibrations on phone calls and during talk radio, not sure how this turned into an anti-hip hop rant.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I said specifically I notice the vibrations on phone calls and during talk radio, not sure how this turned into an anti-hip hop rant.
Apparently you walked on his lawn or perhaps hit a baseball into his yard :).
Apparently so.

I would still love any advice on how to tackle other than taking to the dealer. I'm afraid they will think it's nothing since it isn't Always there, more noticeable at times vs others depending on frequency and other noise, which explains why some music covers it up and talk/phone calls shed light on the problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same 15 Alpine system and got similar issues briefly on the left dash when playing i-Tunes over bluetooth. It occurred during folk/rock with a light beat almost no drums! Couple of notes:

1) I've noticed the bass is indeed heavy on this system. I need the bass on zero, mids in the negative, and treble all the way up to get any kind of crisp sound.

2) Your issues might be phone related, you might need to adjust the master volume level on your phone *before* or during pairing with your system, because it will carry over bluetooth. With bluetooth there is no "line-level" auxiliary sound input from your phone, which in the land of audiophile is bad. I've found (with iPhone at least) that It's good to not go over 50-75% on your master phone volume, and then if you want loud-ish calls or music try the mid-20s range on the Alpine. (Your phone's master volume could be overloading the system/speakers).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same 15 Alpine system and got similar issues briefly on the left dash when playing i-Tunes over bluetooth. It occurred during folk/rock with a light beat almost no drums! Couple of notes:

1) I've noticed the bass is indeed heavy on this system. I need the bass on zero, mids in the negative, and treble all the way up to get any kind of crisp sound.

2) Your issues might be phone related, you might need to adjust the master volume level on your phone *before* or during pairing with your system, because it will carry over bluetooth. With bluetooth there is no "line-level" auxiliary sound input from your phone, which in the land of audiophile is bad. I've found (with iPhone at least) that It's good to not go over 50-75% on your master phone volume, and then if you want loud-ish calls or music try the mid-20s range on the Alpine. (Your phone's master volume could be overloading the system/speakers).

Hope this helps!
I notice it when listening to talk radio on sirius also, specifically people with bassy voices like Stern.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would still love any advice on how to tackle other than taking to the dealer. I'm afraid they will think it's nothing since it isn't Always there, more noticeable at times vs others depending on frequency and other noise, which explains why some music covers it up and talk/phone calls shed light on the problem.
You need to pin-point the issue. Is it something rattling? Is it signal distortion? Is it possibly a blown speaker?

Have you downloaded that tone generator app to help identify the issue? Use it over Bluetooth as well as the Aux input and see if the results are the same. Use a different phone if you have another in the house to make sure it's not the phone itself. The point is you have to take as systematic approach and whittle down the possible causes.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need to pin-point the issue. Is it something rattling? Is it signal distortion? Is it possibly a blown speaker?

Have you downloaded that tone generator app to help identify the issue? Use it over Bluetooth as well as the Aux input and see if the results are the same. Use a different phone if you have another in the house to make sure it's not the phone itself. The point is you have to take as systematic approach and whittle down the possible causes.
I haven't done the tone generator yet. What will make it obvious if the issue is plastic rattling vs a blown speaker? That's what I've been trying to listen to but can't tell so far.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I haven't done the tone generator yet. What will make it obvious if the issue is plastic rattling vs a blown speaker? That's what I've been trying to listen to but can't tell so far.
Once you find a frequency that replicates the problem, it should be pretty easy to figure out what's going on. Locate the source of the rattling/buzzing and then try to stop it. It might be as simple as pressing down on a dash panel or perhaps the smaller speaker's grill. I think the whatever the issue is, it will be pretty obvious once you are able to replicate it with the tone generator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a similar issue. I got the same 9 Alpine audio system. Whenever the top is off and we're riding to the beach or tailgating, that bass is thumping hard. There's nothing that get the girls shaking it like sound hard beats. As much as I love me some rock, it doesn't really get party moving and girls dancing some booming music.

Anyways, I noticed that the rear passenger speaker started rattling a bit after some bass heavy songs. It doesn't occur often but when it does I feel like I cannot hear anything else. I've heard popped speaker before and this sounds the same.

So I took it to the dealer and I told them what the issue was. The guy gives me the run around that they need to check to see if it's the speaker or if there's anything loose. If there is they gotta see if the part is available. The whole round around. That'll it'll prob take a whole day.

Sure enough it did take the whole day. Dropped it off at 8 am. Was ready for pick up at 5. The guy said everything was working find. Picked it up. Same rattling. Looked at the invoice. All they did was tighten the screws.

Showed the service guy and he said to big it in the next day to show the tech guy. I was furious. 9 hours just to tighten a screw? I'm taking it to a dealer that's closer to home. Tell them the whole ordeal. It's not loose screws. Hopefully get the speaker replaced.

Nothing has been resolved yet, just sharing my grief. Seems like an easy fix though if the dealer actually cares.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone thought of or tried spraying Flex seal (the TV infomercial stuff) in the inside of the speaker boxes and then polyfil? Seems like that might do the trick. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts