Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the upgraded from factory Alpine speakers on my 2013 JKUR. Are they worth keeping? How do they match up? Just want your input as I am not well versed on audio. Thanx

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same. I am already looking to upgrade a tad. Nothing huge, just need a little "extra" when the top is down!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Search the topic

Do a search on this topic. You will find we have answered this a 100 times already. Bottom line, Jeep sterio system including the speakers suck. To really improve the sound of your speakers, you are going to have to replace all of them with 4 ohm speakers, put in an amp, a LOC and PAC.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You already know this is super subjective. Depends on how much "better" YOU need it.

I was surprised how decent the premium speakers looked when I changed them out. The baselines are paper generic stuff. The premiums are generic and not great, but have a decent magnet and are blue poly cones.

If you just need a little bump, you could just dynamat and polyfill all the enclosures and be fine.

That being said, if you're already gonna have them out, get some Polks and throw them in at the same time unless you're really on a budget.

In my sig I have a little mod thread and a link to when I did my speakers. You can at least get an idea and see what the stockers look like.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
You already know this is super subjective. Depends on how much "better" YOU need it.

I was surprised how decent the premium speakers looked when I changed them out. The baselines are paper generic stuff. The premiums are generic and not great, but have a decent magnet and are blue poly cones.

If you just need a little bump, you could just dynamat and polyfill all the enclosures and be fine.

That being said, if you're already gonna have them out, get some Polks and throw them in at the same time unless you're really on a budget.

In my sig I have a little mod thread and a link to when I did my speakers. You can at least get an idea and see what the stockers look like.
Agreed,
The premiums are not great, but not horrible. The biggest problem by far with the premium speakers themselves is that they do not have real tweeters in them....well that and the fact that they are 2 ohms (I measured 2.7 ohms). The lack of real tweeters is what makes the entire system sound so muddy and mid-bass heavy.

I have 4 stock Alpine's sitting in a box in the garage next to a like-new 130.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was unhappy with the sound quality from the Alpine system.

I followed the advise from some other threads. I lined the sound bar, subwoofer and front speaker boxes with dynamat (ordered from Amazon) to the best of my ability. Then I stuffed the cavities with polyfill from an old pillow, then replaced the soundbar and front speakers with the Mopar Kicker replacement speakers which are plug and play. The sound is quite a bit better, however the OEM tweeters in the dash are still active resulting in too much treble because the Kickers seem to have better treble response than the Alpines. The extra treble in the dash is painfull at high volumes. Reducing the treble using the equalizer makes the sound bar speakers sound muddy so I'm going to first try to dampen the tweeters by stuffing the void with polyfill and if that doesn't work, I'm going to disable them by cutting and capping the wires.

Overall it was a relatively inexpensive project and easy enough for a newbie. The sound bar took about 20 minutes and the front speakers took me about 2 hours- mostly because I was very cautious taking apart the dash panels.

One note- I discovered that the music quality of the satellite radio is far worse than when I play MP3s from my iPod or hard drive- there must be a lot of compression on the satellite audio. After I made my mods, I cranked up the satellite radio and was disappointed. Then I tried my own MP3s and was very happy. I would listen to your system using your own music, not the radio or satellite radio when assessing the Alpine performance.

If you do make any speaker mods, try doing them all on one side of your jeep first. Then it's easy to move your head around the cabin and you can get a pretty good assessment of the differences of new vs. stock.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Been answered 1000 times... here's 1001:

Base = Junk
Premium Alpine = not as bad as Base but still Junk
Compared to aftermarket stuff = it's complete garbage

It's not just your speakers... HU, speakers, tweeters, sub, AMP are all junk compared to aftermarket stuff.

Some are used to listening to crappy equipment (or can't tell the difference) so it works for them. Those who have had excellent equipment in their vehicles before realize this stuff is garbage, like most other factory systems are. I cringe every time I put my JKU's stereo on. Yikes. Saving up for a complete overhaul. Those who like it, good for you. Those who hate it - change everything as you won't be happy until you do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will a better head unit make the alpines sound better? Thanks for the response. I'm not only a wrangler newb but a newb trying to figure out this forum. I apologize.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts