Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 jkus with the alpine system. Has anyone just replaced the tweeters with the alpine sps-110tw? Amazon has them for under $50. Wonder if they would make a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have you done the capacitor mod? I have done it to 2 Jeeps now and it made a night and day difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't. Was looking for something that was just plug and play. I also like the way the tweeters look with the alpine emblem.

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a 2013 jkus with the alpine system. Has anyone just replaced the tweeters with the alpine sps-110tw? Amazon has them for under $50. Wonder if they would make a noticeable improvement.
I have these installed, and they are so much better than the original Alpine premium tweeters. I hid them behind the factory tombstone grilles, so they look factory, and less of a theft target.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The tweeters don't really make much of a difference, if you want a noticeable difference do the capacitor mod (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html). Alternatively get an in-dash amp or anything cheap, even the walmart ones make a hell of a difference.
What? The new tweeters come with their own crossover, specifically designed for the tweeter.

Rather than replacing the capacitor on a tweeter of questionable quality and performance, with the Alpine, you get an excellent 1" silk dome tweeter, that comes with its own external crossover, specific to the tweeter.

The impact in sound quality is significant.

·
Registered
268 Posts
From my experience doing the sound system on my wifes wrangler changing the head units made a drastic difference even with the truly trash stock speakers. After I got the Alpine Type R coaxial and components in it sounded much better but couldn't get loud until I put a 4 channel amp under the dash. I ordered mine with the crap factory sound system and it'll be a project next summer fund-permitting. I listen to NPR 99% of the time during my commute anyway.

Why not just buy Component speakers... They aren't that expensive. Once it's done it's done. ETA: just saw you already have the Alpine system.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,567 Posts
Both tweeters are quite similar. 1" silk/cloth dome tweeters with crossovers designed specifically for them... ;)

But all of the mods listed do offer performance improvements...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to go ahead and install the alpine tweeters. I'm happy with the way it turned out. The sound is much clearer. I now have some control over the highs. I just left it on + 9 before.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I decided to go ahead and install the alpine tweeters. I'm happy with the way it turned out. The sound is much clearer. I now have some control over the highs. I just left it on + 9 before.
Looks good! What did you have to modify to get the new tweeters to fit? Looking at them online it looks almost like they'd fit right into the tombstones but curious what if anything needed to be modified?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have to splice the wires to the new tweeters. There are no adapters. The tombstones also need to be modified so the new tweeters fit.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You have to splice the wires to the new tweeters. There are no adapters. The tombstones also need to be modified so the new tweeters fit.
I tucked mine up inside the tombstones, and have them hidden behind the factory grilles. I didn't need to modify anything at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts