Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was lookin around under the hood of my Jeep after I fixed a squeaky belt and noticed what appears to be a second battery tray under the brake booster. I was wondering if there would be any adverse effects on my recovery strap if I stored it there due to the heat of the engine bay. I know I could always just toss it in the back but recovery gear is expensive and my Jeep doesn't lock and I have a soft top so I'm lookin for alternative places to store my gear. I already made a plate so that it won't move around and possibly fall. I'm just trying to think this through before ruining a $70 strap. Thanks in advance for all the help y'all.

Blake

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
That tray would be where your ABS would be located if your jeep was equipped with it. You could fab up a box for that to hold your gear pretty easy. I don't see storing your gear there hurting it. I would want it secure so it wouldn't fall or get caught in anything say the steering.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Jeepin9910 said:
So I was lookin around under the hood of my Jeep after I fixed a squeaky belt and noticed what appears to be a second battery tray under the brake booster. I was wondering if there would be any adverse effects on my recovery strap if I stored it there due to the heat of the engine bay. I know I could always just toss it in the back but recovery gear is expensive and my Jeep doesn't lock and I have a soft top so I'm lookin for alternative places to store my gear. I already made a plate so that it won't move around and possibly fall. I'm just trying to think this through before ruining a $70 strap. Thanks in advance for all the help y'all.

Blake
Great plan. I have this space too and now have a use for it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I placed a small lockable drybox for a boat there to hold a bunch of hand tools(sockets and wrenchs). Its usable space.... Your strap should be fine. My old strap road in an aluminum toolbox in FL weather for almost 10 years before I lost it to some a$$hole that needed more than I did I guess.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but a small ammo can might fit in there. The ammo can would be nice since it has a lid and a gasket making it water proof.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hosejockey61 said:
Hard to tell from the pic but a small ammo can might fit in there. The ammo can would be nice since it has a lid and a gasket making it water proof.
Yeah I thought about that but my strap is 4" wide and 30' long so it barely fits under the brake booster as it is lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I don't think an ammo can will fit. My Jeep is at the doctor, was planning on finding a box to fit in the ABS spot when I get it back. I have a few different ammo cans laying around, but I think they are all to tall.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NC Bear said:
I don't think an ammo can will fit. My Jeep is at the doctor, was planning on finding a box to fit in the ABS spot when I get it back. I have a few different ammo cans laying around, but I think they are all to tall.
Yeah the brake booster slims down the options for storage. That's why I ended up just making a plate to keep the strap from falling or moving.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Jeepin9910 said:

Blake
My recovery strap sits under my passenger seat. Never moves, never in the way. Its a 30' to.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TJspeed said:
My recovery strap sits under my passenger seat. Never moves, never in the way. Its a 30' to.
Yeah I had no problem with puttin my gear in the back but I've seen a lot of people walkin around the associate parking lot at work that don't work there and I don't wanna take chances on my stuff gettin stolen. A buddy of mine at work had his stereo stolen a while back and they almost didn't catch the guy. Where I work there is a public transportation drop off and pick up and there are a ton of people there for hours on end so the drawer thing would be awesome except I have to have my back seat cuz my 2 year old rides with me daily so that's outta the question.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah I thought about that but my strap is 4" wide and 30' long so it barely fits under the brake booster as it is lol
If you remove the battery tray on the 05 model you’ll find a deep dark cavity and more room.
These are old pictures, I’ll get more pictures of what I did with this area later.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MOTJ said:
If you remove the battery tray on the 05 model you’ll find a deep dark cavity and more room.
These are old pictures, I’ll get more pictures of what I did with this area later.
Yeah I removed both trays and bedlined them both and I tried to fit my strap there and it wasn't happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts